DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Manfrotto 521 owners: can you change function of RET button? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/484015-manfrotto-521-owners-can-you-change-function-ret-button.html)

Malcolm Hamilton August 29th, 2010 04:51 PM

Manfrotto 521 owners: can you change function of RET button?

Hi there,
I own the Manfrotto 521 remote for my EX-1, and I like it very much, but I'd love to be able to reprogram the RET button (now set for for last clip review), which is something I never use (except accidentally), to 'EXPANDED FOCUS', which is something I really depend on.
Does anyone know if this button is (re)programmable?
thanks, Malcolm

Piotr Wozniacki August 30th, 2010 02:20 AM

Hi Malcolm,

No, the button is not programmable. The wiring of remote socket in the Fujinon lens doesn't provide anything else but start/stop, zoom in/out, and ret.

Malcolm Hamilton August 30th, 2010 05:16 AM

O.K. I'll just have to figure out a better way of using the Extended Focus button while using the Manfrotto remote. thanks Piotr,
Malcolm

Piotr Wozniacki August 30th, 2010 06:11 AM

I feel your pain - with your right hand on the Manfrotto controller, it's difficult to reach the Expanded Focus button on the hand-grip - right?

Well, I have assigned the Expanded view to my User Button 1....

Malcolm Hamilton August 30th, 2010 07:05 AM

Yes I've got button 1 (Lens Info originally) re-assigned to Expanded Focus, and just now I assigned the 'Assign 4' button to Expanded Focus as well. I'm not an experienced camera operator, so I really really depend on this one feature in particular.
Cheers, Malcolm

Piotr Wozniacki August 30th, 2010 07:19 AM

For critical focusing, peaking is much better than switching Expanded on and off!

Andrew Stone August 30th, 2010 12:03 PM

My experience aligns with Piotr on peaking as being better for focus.

Expanded focus can get you lost in your shot if your subject decides to move or does something that requires you to pull out or in.

Malcolm Hamilton August 30th, 2010 01:22 PM

Yes, thank you, both. I do use peaking, but was getting caught up with Expanded Focus... I'll take your advice and simplify things for myself and stick with peaking.
Regards, Malcolm

Alain Chaix September 16th, 2010 03:17 AM

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand Manfrotto 521 remote control.

Do you think this is a good tool to buy ?

Thanks (and excuse me for my poor english)

Alain

Piotr Wozniacki September 16th, 2010 03:42 AM

Yes Alain - the MN 521ex is highly recommended.

You can find opinions that it's not capable of smooth zooms at low speeds, but I have good reasons to believe it's the EX lens' fault.

Mine works perfectly, anyway.

Alain Chaix September 16th, 2010 06:25 AM

Ok thanks Piotr for your answer,

I think I'll do a test with my EX1r before buying it.

Regards