how can I tighten accessory shoe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Major Player

how can I tighten accessory shoe?

Hi there,
I notice the accessory shoe on top of the EX-1's built-in mic is just a bit loose, and I'd love to tighten it, but I can see how to do this.
Does anyone know how this might be done? Or is it something only someone at a Sony shop can do?
thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Take a tiny flat bladed screwdriver and carefully stick it under the lip of the rolled over end of the stainless steel plate that is inside the "shoe" it should overcome the lip that is holding it in place and just slide out the stainless steel bit. You should see the exposed screws at this point. You will need a small, quite small, phillips screwdriver to tighten them up. Make sure they are good and snug but don't overtighten them, as you could strips the threads inside the camera. Put metal plate back in and you are good to go.

I tightened mine up after a year of use. They were both loosey goosey. Once tightened they haven't been a problem since. Quite a few others have reported the same thing.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks so much for this Andrew.
So glad to know I can do it myself. It's not about to fall off, but the fact that it isn't tight bugs me, and it will feel good to tighten it up. I'm on a shoot now, and don't have the right screwdriver, but I'll do it as soon as I get home.
Regards, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Use a bit of blue Loctite on the threads. That will keep them from backing out again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds