codecs gone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

codecs gone

Took my quicktime movie off my macbook pro timeline to create a dvd on my 8 core mac pro. Wouldn't play. Quicktime claimed it needed a codec. Discovered FCP was only 6.0.1. OK no big deal – downloaded pro aps 5-8 (?) which contains fcp 6.0.6 which is what I have on my macbook. Nope can't update without 6.0.5. OK downloaded and installed and then installed 6.0.6. Still no go with quicktime or fcp playing my film – missing a whole slew of codecs. Looked in the quicktime library – no xdcam codecs. Transferred the library off my macbook and put on my MacPro. Still no go. Seems people had this problem 2 years ago but none of the threads ends in a solution that works for me. It has been suggested to me that I should have upgraded via the automatic update, which is what I did (after) my first attempt with pro aps. How do I get back, or forward to where I can set up properly? Please.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Do you have a backup of your old setup?

If you do then just copy the content of the library/quicktime folder from the BU.

If not then you may have to do a new complete reinstall and all the updates.

This is what mine looks like. I do have some extra stuff though.

PS. if you did not have a clone of a working system, now (after you get it working again that is) would be a good time to start periodic backups.

I am hard on myself too.
Attached Thumbnails
codecs gone-screen-shot-2010-08-30-1.36.02-pm.png  
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Olof. I had a copy of the quicktime codecs in the Library on my macbook pro which I transferred to my mac pro, to no avail. I guess a complete reinstall is my destiny with, now that the codecs have fled the barn, a regular backup procedure.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't forget the FCS Remover tool to wipe off your previous install. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Used FCS remover and reinstalled and then updated via the automatic update and glory be we are back in business. Thanks gents!
David Herman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds