DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony repair bill $6600.00 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/484474-sony-repair-bill-6600-00-a.html)

Mervin Langley September 8th, 2010 09:18 PM

Sony repair bill $6600.00

I posted recently about my EX1 having a focus issue. The focus goes out sometimes, normally fixed by turning the unit off and restarting. Yesterday I received the estimate for $6600.00. I wonder if this is payback for me posting negatively about Sony taking longer than they informed me before getting to my camera?
This is the NJ repair facility. So I will pay to have the unit returned and find someone who is willing to repair the unit elsewhere.

Mervin Langley

Jason Bodnar September 8th, 2010 09:44 PM

I would inquire on that estimate again as that is 300.00 more than what a brand new EX1R can be purchased for.... That sounds very strange to me.

Craig Seeman September 8th, 2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervin Langley (Post 1567431)
wonder if this is payback for me posting negatively about Sony taking longer than they informed me before getting to my camera?

I suspect Panasonic will make a bundle as you become their new spokesperson. It'll be the most costly mistake Sony has made with a customer. I think a bricked camera would have cost less.

Unless you tossed the camera out the window of a very tall building I think somebody in Sony must have failed some basic business classes. You should explain to them that you're not paying for the airfare, hotel and meals for the repair technician to fly to parts manufacturing plant. That doesn't qualify as a labor charge.

Mervin Langley September 8th, 2010 11:32 PM

The camera had lost focus four times over a two week period. Once it powered down and back on without my doing so. Thats it.

Dean Sensui September 9th, 2010 03:21 AM

Sounds like they're replacing it with a new camera and charging you full fare.

Did you bad mouth them that much? Perhaps take it up with your local consumer protection office? Is there a "lemon law" that applies?

Are you shooting with manual focus or with auto focus?

Don Bloom September 9th, 2010 04:47 AM

Mervin,
I have to say that IF Sony is trying to ding you becaquse you gave them a "bad review" then something is definately wrong. Company's big and small KNOW that that will happen and to try to get back at you by charging you that amount for a repair just doesn't sound right. Now I am not saying they arent doing that but...Did you try to talk to a manager at the repair center and ask what the charges are for and why they are what they are considering you could buy a NEW camera for less than that? It just doesn't make sense and frankly unless you went off on them at that repair center and they know you did and you swore and threatened them how would they even know you.
I'm only saying before you start going after them again talk to someone in charge there and find out what the deal is then if need be go up the ladder, everyone has a boss so keep going up until you get the real skinny.
BTW, I am not defending Sony but something just doesn't sound right. $6600 to repair a $6000 camera that isn't that old that (hopefully) hasn't been abused and has been used as it supposed to be...that just sounds wrong. Maybe they put the decimal point in the wrong place. One could only hope.

Glen Vandermolen September 9th, 2010 05:35 AM

Sounds like they accidentally added an extra "0" to the estimate.

Allan Black September 9th, 2010 07:02 AM

Someone at NJ has blundered and probably knows it by now, yep it'll be $660.00.

Assuming they emailed you that quote, print it out and put it on Ebay .. start a bidding war by everyone who's ever been mucked around by Sony .. make a few bucks there.
Cheers.

Tim Polster September 9th, 2010 08:15 AM

Mervin, I assume the camera is out of warranty?

I sent my EX-1 in for this same reason. They replaced the entire lens assembly. Luckilly I sent it in before one year passed so it was covered.

$6,600 sounds too high but I would be surprised that if they replaced the lens it would only cost $660.

Let us know after you give them a call.

Serena Steuart September 9th, 2010 08:52 PM

Replacements of major items will be more than $1K. The initial batch of EX1s had their lens assemblies replaced under warranty, so we never knew the cost.

Mervin Langley September 9th, 2010 09:47 PM

Here is my bill from Sony. In case anyone thinks I am making this up. I did however have the amount wrong its actually $6340.00
(in US$)
Ext. Price
(in US$)
DEPOT_LABOR 5 135.00 675.00
Depot Labor
A1539605E 1 1,001.91 1,001.91
PMW-EX1 ,UNIT, LENS
A1363310D 2 1,964.23 3,928.46
MOUNTED C.BOARD, DPR-289 COMPL
A1363020A 1 364.89 364.89
MOUNTED C.BOARD, EC-62
HANDLING 20.00
INSURANCE 19.50
Subtotal: 6,009.76
Tax: 330.55
Grand Total: 6,340.31

Jason Bodnar September 9th, 2010 11:20 PM

It is still more than a new EX1R, not sure why they would even provide that as an estimate... They should just say the camera is totaled and can not be fixed for any reasonable cost, buy a new one. Crazy!

Serena Steuart September 10th, 2010 12:16 AM

Now we know the cost of the lens assembly! Can't say I'm surprised by that estimate when knowing the individual item costs. One question might be "is it necessary to replace the lens?"; is replacing the C-board sufficient? You could ask someone else for a quote. I do know that some manufacturers allow only modular replacements (not repairs to a component) and that might be the trouble here. Nevertheless you might seek a quote from reputable people, perhaps a large rental firm who maintain their own gear.

John Peterson September 10th, 2010 08:06 AM

I've had Sony repair work done here:

Armato's Pro Video

They are very good and reasonable.

John

Craig Seeman September 10th, 2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1567926)
I've had Sony repair work done here:

Armato's Pro Video

They are very good and reasonable.

John

I didn't know they were authorized to do EX repairs. I bought my EX from them because of their excellent loaner policy. They are Sony authorized service center but I was under the impression Sony was not allowing such authorized service centers to do EX repairs. Good news if they are. Absolutely stellar customer service. They're just a little "mom & pop" place but mom and pop treat their customer like kids they love.