New EX1r: Minor problem or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New EX1r: Minor problem or not?

After my $6300 plus bill for repair I purchased a new EX1R. I am entirely happy with the camera except for one irritating issue The top handle record button is not very sensitive. One has to give it a good hard push in to start recording. If I am using cache thats going to be a problem as it causes camera movement.

I just purchased from B&H two days ago. I doubt they would swop it for a new one and I am terrified to send it in to Sony repair.

Or I could just live with it... and use the handgrip record button.

Any thoughts?

Mervin
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Probably that way on purpose. With all the things that can happen on top of a camera an inadvertent push of that red button could certainly ruin your day. Especially if it's in record mode intentionally, and some momentary thing STOPS the recording.

Honestly, I forget about the top-handle record button I use it so infrequently.
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Major Player

if you are worried about movement, could you just use the remote?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well the top handle record button on my 2 week old EX1R starts and stops recording without me having to smash it. HOWEVER, I tested it after reading your post and I noticed something. When I tested just the pressure to depress the button by using my finger tip/nail, it was smooth and smart. BUT, when I used my full thumbpad (arguable what most would consider "normal), the surrounding locking collar around the button meant I had to push hard like you described in order to get the button to travel far enough to start/stop recording given the softness of my thumb. Check it out by using your finger tip versus finger pad and let us know.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds