Shutter on/off at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter on/off

Whoops! Accidentally turned my shutter off(on my EX1r) - which got me thinking... Why would someone want to turn their shutter off?
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Trustee

As I pretty well always shoot 50i I almost always have the shutter Off as this is the only way to get the correct shutter speed of 1/50th Sec. To me the question would be 'why would anyone turn the shutter on?' as you're wasting 1 stop of light.
Even when shooting 25p I find the extra motion blur from a 360deg shutter not objectionable and the extra stop of light can be very handy. This however is an option to exercise with caution if fast motion is involved as you may or may not like the outcome.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Agree. I shoot 25P and in general have the shutter off. The motion blur is desirable for smooth motion. Fast motion? How fast? But good for cars in traffic & people walking. And as Bob says, the extra stop is useful.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks. The video I shot (24P) did look ok and when I played with the on/off, I noticed the extra light with shutter off. Maybe this will come in useful. I did notice that birds wings looked worse than normal though (as you said), due to their speed. I also did a timelapse before I noticed and it looked just fine - that might be a good application if I need more light.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Shutter off for low light situations or when shooting interlaced (as shutter off is 1/50 or 1/60)

If shooting 25p, 1/25 (shutter off) is a little low and most motion will blur. If using 50p you'll be OK in most situations with it off.

Last year I had been shooting in low light (at 25p) and then had to immediately go outside to get some footage of a passing train. In the haste I forgot the shutter was set to off. The footage looks OK but on a train going at 70mph, all detail was lost. Shot still works but I was kicking myself because its not how I wanted the shot to look.

Usually, if shooting progressive, I shoot 1/50. It gives the best balance of motion and detail on the captured image. Sometimes retaining detail on the image is more important than smoothness. I've shot quite a few videos of high speed machining processes and clients demand detail. So I trade off the image looking "natural" for a high shutter speed.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Trustee

This is something that has never been clear to me. I generally shoot my EX1R at 60i at 1/60th sec. In this case, does it matter if the shutter is on or off?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I disagree entirely with the guys saying it's fine to shoot with shutter off, that would be 360º degrees shutter or 1/24 shooting 24p, or 1/25 shooting 25p.

I hate that motion blur, plus I've never ever seen that look in any hollywood movie or tv show EXCEPT for Public Enemies, where sometimes the subjects looked like ghosts when they moved around a fixed frame.

Be sure to make tests and be convinced that you like what you see before shooting anything really important with shutter off.

Just my opinion, have fun.
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Well of course you must always test rather than just accept what someone tells you. However let me assure you that turning the shutter off does not give you ghostly images. You have to shoot accumulated frames to get that. There are times you want detail in the frame, but to get detail with fast motion means small shutter sector, little motion blur and motion jerkiness at 24/25 fps. You must always test.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I certainly will continue to shoot with shutter at 180 degrees, but it was an interesting (though unintentional) experiment.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Major Player

For my 50i shooting, unless I am looking to create a "stutter shutter" look or similar, I operate with my shutter "off". Although technically it is not off, the option has been switched off.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Major Player

I shoot shutter off when shooting 30p or 24p in lowlight situations. This is to gain an extra stop of light.

For 60i/60p or in better lighting conditions I am shooting 1/60 for the 60 modes and 1/48 or 180º angle for the 24p modes.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

if you are using artificial light, you should allways turn shutter off, otherwise you'll get some flickering or darker steaks marching slowly through your image.
Thomas Nibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Bad advice.
Maybe shutter is a problem in Germany, but not in NTSC areas. Over here, shutter can (and should) be used in 99.9% of all shooting situations regardless of whether the lighting is artificial or natural. Personally, I never turn the shutter off unless I'm in a very dark location and there's very little motion.
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I had always been a little nervous of shooting "shutter off" due to motion blur potential. I mostly shoot 1080/30p and find the light loss in progressive vs. interlaced a bit of a problem when I shoot conference work in natural (low) light. I now have no hesitation to flick the switch to shutter off. in low light When there is minimal movement in the shoot, the "shutter off "setting is ideal (for me anyway) since I can keep the gain setting to "0" or to at least a low number setting - without compromising picture quality. The look of gain is worse, to me, then a slight increase in motion blur. I doubt I'd ever use shutter off for anything where there would be considerable movement in the frame.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #15
Major Player

I have begun recording in 720 50p - Now I do not use the shutter anymore. When I recorded in 25P I used the 180 degree shutter. Played back on CRT monitor it looks stuttering but on an LCD screen you got a great result. I believe that the LCD screen gave a lag to the material so it did not stutter.
Who have CRT screens theese days - except from us !
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds