DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   How many SxS cards do you own and types. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/484966-how-many-sxs-cards-do-you-own-types.html)

Daniel Goyette September 20th, 2010 05:14 AM

How many SxS cards do you own and types.

I have buy the following : 2X SxS 8Gb who came with the camcorder , 3X SxS 16 Gb , 2 X SxS 32 Gb and until now i have not need more but how many do you uses guys.

My workflow is shoot all the events without transfering and reformating my SxS cards , all the transfer is done after getting back to my editing suite never on the shooting scene.

This workflow have avoid probably many errors when shooting under pressure i have estimate my need at about 6 hours of SxS at 35 Mbs but now i think 8 hours maybe needed.

Craig Seeman September 20th, 2010 07:24 AM

I don't use my SxS cards except when I need overcrank but I have
2 8GB SxS
1 16GB SxS

I also have
MxR (original)
2 32GB Sandisk Ultra Class 2 (Yes Class 2)
This gets me through all my jobs.

I agree absolutely to never offload during a shoot. Most accidents are human error and offloading during a shoot is the most common cause.

Given the current technology I'd recommend you get MxR or MxM and 4 Sandisk Extreme Class 10 32GB cards or maybe ATP Pro Class 6.

Duncan Craig September 20th, 2010 08:27 AM

8x 16GB Sandisk Class 6 SDHC and 3x MxR adapters.

I've used the cards 141 times cards since I bought them. I log every reel and record which cards I used and how often etc, etc.

Anthony McErlean September 20th, 2010 09:08 AM

2 8GB SxS
1 32 SxS
2 16GB ATP Cards Class 6
3 16GB ATP Cards Class 10
All in MxML adaptors.

Still thinking of getting another SxS Card.

Dan Munk September 20th, 2010 09:57 AM

I have a couple of SxS cards, but don't use them-mostly because my MBP only has a SD slot.

2x Hoodman adapters
4x 32GB SanDisk Class 10
1x 16GB SanDisk Class 10

Zero problems with any, over/undercranking included.

Markus Klatt September 20th, 2010 10:06 AM

1x 8 GB SxS Pro
1x 16 GB SxS Pro
1x 32 GB SxS Pro
8x MxR with 16GB SanDisk Class 4

I try to use SxS as often as I can and use SanDisk for supplemental material only, if possible. If there is really need to shoot more on SxS for important material, I copy from SxS to SanDisk in the camera, two times to two different SanDiscs - and I do check at least one copy, before I delete on the SxS.
But this happens very rarely, and I can do this in hotel at the evening after the shows. If it would happen more often or during the "action" while shooting, I would buy more SxS.

Andrew Stone September 20th, 2010 01:37 PM

1 16GB SxS
2 8GB SxS

12 16GB SDHC with Adapters (diferent kinds Delkin, Kensington...)

and a nanoFlash for redundant recording.

I agree with Craig on save the bitrangling for later on back in studio. Another important missed step is to prepare all your cards before hand by formatting them when you prep the camera (presumably the day before) so to have NO content on the cards you are carrying. You don't want to be formatting cards in the middle of a shoot and erase material you shot earlier in the day.

Antti Kangas September 20th, 2010 03:20 PM

One 8 GB SxS PRO and it stays pretty much always in slot A. Slot B is usually occupied by a USB adapter for my 500 GB hard drive or SDHCs.

--AOK--

Daniel Goyette September 20th, 2010 03:37 PM

I am very above what it is posted here with my SxS cards who give me a total of 128 GB and was thinking of adding 2 SxS cards of 32 GB for an estimate of 9 Hours of long event recording.

Also recording when far away from the studio this is a bonus to record a few events and only get back when all shooting is finish avoiding long travel back but my workflow maybe above many of you.

Thank-you and dont stop yet your feedbacks because with the postings done by you guys it make me think i am an alien from another planet ..... ok it is a little joke but may be i am an alien after all.

Tony Newman September 20th, 2010 04:07 PM

1 16GB SxS
2 32GB SxS-1

I never reach my 5 hr limit... though I don't have a laptop, it seems whenever I'm on location the producer or client always has one. I always bring EX Clip Browser with me on a memory flash card, install the software and bamm, I'm a hero! I usually dump clips at the end of a shoot anyway.

Olof Ekbergh September 20th, 2010 04:10 PM

1-8GB Sony
2-16GB Sony
4-16GB Sandisk

These days I use the NanoFlash most of the time.
It uses CF cards very solid reliable cards.
2-16GB Sandisk
2-32GB Sandisk
2-64GB Delkins
I usually record 100mb/sec with the CF, sometimes 50mb/sec. And it is 4:2:2, it makes a big difference in grading. Though most people (clients) can't tell the difference, some know of the difference and insist on it.

I also have 5 16GB Sandisk SD cards with M&R adapters, but I only use those as a spare tire (Sony's term for SD cards in XDcams). I have used them a few times w/o any problems at all.

Doug Jensen September 20th, 2010 04:58 PM

1 16GB Sony
5 8GB Sony

Often that is not nearly enough to get me through a day's worth of shooting, so I always have my PXU-MS240 with me. Sony PXU-MS240 Mobile Storage Unit PXU-MS240 - B&H Photo Video
With the mobile storage unit standing by it would be impossible to ever run out of cards on a shoot. The NEXTO DI 2500 is also a good option and allows you to backup CF cards as well.

My workflow for the past few months has been to backup every card to the MS240 as soon as it is taken out of the camera even if I know that I won't have to re-fromat the card anytime soon. Just one more layer of security. I usually have clips dating back a couple of months still sitting on the MS240 at any given time.

Chad Johnson September 20th, 2010 05:49 PM

There's a used nanoFlash bundle for 2,250.00 at B&H. I'd jump on it but I don't have the money yet.

I have 1x 32gig and 3 8gig SxS cards. Plus 1x 16 gig Hoodman Raw. I need more media because I have 2 EX1 cameras, and I want to be able to record long live shows.

David Issko September 21st, 2010 02:54 PM

6 x 8gb sxs
4 x 32gb sxs

OT: 4 x Sandisk 32gb CF for nanoflash.

All work beautifully.

Ed Kukla September 22nd, 2010 06:05 AM

2 - 8g SxS
12 - 16g SDHC cards & 4 card adapters

I use the SDHC cards all the time. I have to hand off media to all my clients as I don't self produce.
Sometimes client only brings one drive. I can hold the cards until they get the drive to the editor for copying in the edit suite.