How to get best cleanest slo mo? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #16
Trustee

We have a Casio here, and while it does shoot at 300 FPS, the images produced at that rate are very blocky and look BAD, this even with decent lighting.

EX1 or 3 shot in 720P@60 and slowed to 24fps is clean. Our clients much preferred that, even though it is not as slow. And yes, Phantom and other true high speed cameras, though incredibly expensive, are by far the right tool for the job. Street people have no idea what it costs to do good HD slow mo, they just expect to flip a button and blink the magic wand for perfect results - UGH.
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

This is another company with some great cameras to rent for high frame rate work.
Fastec Imaging LP - High-Speed Digital Video Cameras - Lucid
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Paul thanks for posting up the Brainfarm demo reel link. Outstanding and inspiring as you say.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #19
Inner Circle

You are welcome Andrew. If someone is in the business this is a must see. Click for full 1080p sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #20
Major Player

Yeah that BRAIN FARM Reel is sweet!
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #21
Major Player

Yes, Paul the Brain Farm Crew has a sweet setup and their productions stand out. This Nike commercial was shot with the Phantom Gold as well... It is also inspiring... Makes me want to take out a equity line, put myself further underwater.... :) and buy one as shooting with it once is not enough... It is addicting! They rent for 2500 per day on average... 40+ day shoots would pay for it... :)

Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Agree Jason once you try it which I have only done in house you are hooked. The Fastec imager is 720p and a small hand held unit. I am going to check that out at the factory. less then 1/4 of the cost of the Phantom. I have a few clients close to going for the rental so hopefully it will happen soon.

$2500/day is with out glass and mag.
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #23
Major Player

@ Paul:

I'm curious about the image quality: Somehow I always fear these 'industrial highspeed cameras' produce 'Hi-8 colors'. So, if you rent one: can you show us the result?
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #24
Major Player

Yep, 2500.00 for the phantom rental was bare bones... We already had glass though and the mag was an extra 500.00 on a deal as normally I think it is over 700.00 which sucks.... so you can quckly be at over 3000.00 for the day. Makes buying one seem like a better option more and more if you will use it a lot.

The Fastec was tested by Tom Guilmette see his Blog below for some testing and a small review... It is only 20,000 to buy and about 500.00 per day to rent. It will shoot 718fps at 720p and must be tethered to a laptop. Still a very cool unit and the price is much more reasonable but it has some drawbacks, if you can live with them it is a great little unit. I am trying to talk my wife into selling the house and getting a Phantom... :)

Fastec Imaging High Speed Fun – Lacrosse Test 718 Frames Per Second « Tom Guilmette
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Beat me to it Jason with Tom's blog post. They have another unit that is self contained that I will check out. Once I have more info I will post what I find. But if you can live with 720p the Fastec might be a good path.
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting the Nike ad. I really enjoyed the visuals. This style of shooting reminds me of macro photography for some reason. Highly specialized, really cool but with limited application.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #27
Inner Circle

If you guys have any specific questions you would like me to ask next week at Fastec let me know? I will try and take stills of the gear and hopefully be able to post some test clips if allowed.
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I really just want to know purchase price across the product line (and I see a few lines on their site) and whether they have rentals in New York City. It's only way I can offer them for my clients. Of course maybe a simple "what's the least expensive"
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I really just want to know purchase price across the product line (and I see a few lines on their site) and whether they have rentals in New York City. It's only way I can offer them for my clients. Of course maybe a simple "what's the least expensive"
Will do Craig I will try and get the pricing on the full line and see if there are rental options in NYC.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM   #30
Major Player

If Nike were one of my clients I'd buy a Phantom...sure, why not?
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds