How to get best cleanest slo mo? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #46
Major Player

Nice super-slow-mo Kent! Nice piece in general too.
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Kent I enjoyed watching. Really enjoyed the music and how well it fits the footage.

Is the dancing slow motion 720p 60/30p from the camera? Not the jumping slow motion I know that is Motion Optical Flow 4%.

Very nice of you to post and show your results. Sure it is not a Phantom but the best I have viewed from a EX1R running that slow.
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #48
Major Player

That came out much better then I would've expected. Nice!
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #49
Major Player

Thanks Paul, Mark...I shot everything at 720 24p, S&Q mode 60fps...then I slowed down to 4% of that just the ultra slow mo shots...
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #50
Vortex Media

Kent, great footage! I never would have believed that sort of slow-mo would be possible with an EX1 and Motion. Very nice. It inspires me to go out and try it myself.
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #51
Major Player

Danke...so it's SONY EX1R and careful planning, shooting slow mo to begin with, play with shutter speed, and playing with Optical Flow, tried 10%, went down to 3 or 4% and saw how it worked - thing is to have good lighting (better than I had), clean, non-busy BG, not a lot of movement from the subject.
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Beeson View Post
......., not a lot of movement from the subject.
That is true....
I did some testing with splashing water and Timewarp in AE (which is said to be an almost similair effect as Optical Flow) and the effect at 20% was already hilarious. AE had no idea what was happening.... I shot 60frames over 25 at 1/250... the software can't figure out which drop is going where: too much movement in all directions. Maybe I'll post it after christmas (to busy now ;-) )

Anyway: great work.
You seem to have managed to avoid most of the 'cross-fade-feet' that shows in your test. That was really the only real giveaway of the postprocessing.
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Basically there needs to be no other movement beyond the subject and no moving planes crossing each other. I tried this with a tennis swing and it was a complete disaster. The racket crossing the body resulted in the "ripple/water" effect.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #54
Major Player

You're both right about movement - and thanks only to editing you don't see the awful artifacts of feet, unless you look real carefully at the very end of almost every ultra slow mo shot.
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting. Great work. I really like how there is no strobing with the super slo-mo shots. I guess that is a function of the software doing a great job.

Did you have detail turned down or off on the EX-1? Your footage has nice soft edges. Not very "video-ish" at all.

Also, did you test the super slow-mo with normal shutter like 1/60th or even 1/48th? It would be interesting to know if you could still get away with 4% with a slower shutter and more motion blur.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #56
Major Player

Good questions - no I never (my mistake) tried shutter below 250, probably even better results (I think) if I went to 120 or so, as far as better exposure/light. I shot everything at 24p so that helped get rid of "video" look, more filmic, but also used Magic Bullet Quick looks and three way color corrector in FCP to make it a little better than no color grading.

And Optical flow did OK, again not Phantom quality but hey at least I know in certain circumstances, under the right conditions,etc I can shoot ultra slo mo with my EX1R and Optical Flow.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds