EX-3 Ex1-r SXS Hoodman in either camera ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX-3 Ex1-r SXS Hoodman in either camera ?

We just bought a new ex-1 R to complement our Ex-3. If we format SXS or Hoodman Cards on the Ex-3 can they be used on the Ex-1R? Likewise cards formatted on the Ex-1 R usable on the Ex-3?

Our Ex-1R was from new stock just shipped to our dealer and then on to us. We formatted a 32 gig Hoodman with the Ex-1 R and it worked without a problem. Now that we have the Ex-1R we had planned to send our Ex-3 back to Sony for cleaning and firm ware updates. We put the 32 gig Hoodman in the Ex-3 and it recognized it without a problem.

Our EX-3 is about a year old. How do we determine the firmware version of the Ex-3? Also what version is needed to get the EX-3 to work with the 32 gig Hoodman and SXS-1 32 gig cards?

Sorry to ask so many questions in one post. We just cringe at shipping a perfectly good EX-3 to Sony if we already have the latest firmware that will work with the new cards.

Thanks

Ronnie
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

They all use FAT32 for their file system on the cards.

Formatted cards will be interchangeable.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Vortex Media

I think your original question has already been answered, but just a word of warning about mixing SD and HD clips on a card. Unless something has been changed since I tested it last December, if you have SD clips from the EX1R on a card, then that card will not be usable in the EX3 until you remove those clips.

You probably won't be shooting SD anyway, but I just thought it'd be worth mentioning. This problem may have already been fixed anyway, but I have had no reason to test it myself.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks much Doug.. since I posted the original message we have ordered a PMW 320 so that now we have all three of the EX cameras for our company. I down loaded the 320 instruction manual and I think I read somewhere that cards formatted on the 320 or 350 could not be read by the EX-3 or EX-1R something about the 4 channel audio... not sure about this

I have your all of your DVDs on the original Ex-1, Ex-3 and Hrv7/270 and they have been extremely helpful in training us on these cameras. Will you be coming out with one for the 320 and the EX-1R? If so please let us know when they are available.

Thanks again for all you do for us.

Ronnie
ronnievideo@aol.com
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Hi Ronnie,

I'm glad the DVDs have been helpful. Thank you for the kind words and being such a great customer.

Actually, we released a 40:00 EX1R update video last winter. The the EX1/EX1R DVDs that are shipping now include a 3rd disc with that video on it. However, anyone can watch that update video for free on our website.

Vortex Media's PMW-EX1R Update Video

As for a PMW-320/350 training DVD or field guide book, nothing is planned right now. There are just too many cameras coming out too fast and I don't have time to do them all. We just released a 3.5 hour Canon XF305 training DVD this month that I had worked on full time since the beginning of July. It takes about 8-10 weeks and over 400 hours to produce one of our training DVDs so it's not a decision that can be taken lightly.

Thanks for asking.
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Martin View Post
Thanks much Doug.. since I posted the original message we have ordered a PMW 320 so that now we have all three of the EX cameras for our company. I down loaded the 320 instruction manual and I think I read somewhere that cards formatted on the 320 or 350 could not be read by the EX-3 or EX-1R something about the 4 channel audio... not sure about this

ronnievideo@aol.com
Hey Ronnie,

There should be no problem with the files according to the info from Sony. The manual states that when files with 4 channel audio is played back in EX1 or EX3 only 2 channels are heard.

I was going to cut and paste the section but he document is protected.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds