Best shutter speed for 1080 60i shoot in the UK? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best shutter speed for 1080 60i shoot in the UK?

Hi All

I'm a British cameraman who is shooting 60i for a US client here in the UK which is 50hz mains. The shoot is in labs which are lit with fluorescents. I assume with the shutter off I'm going to get some strobing from the lights, so should I set the shutter to 100th (a multiple of 50) or use the flicker reduce setting? I'm using a PMW 350. Any better ideas?

Thanks.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Andy, I had a similar issue in Spain last year. My suggestion is to use ECS mode and dial in any scan rate you need. But,dependening on the Hz of the florescent lamp, in most cases you should be able to simply scroll through the shutter speed switch while viewing the image in the view finder and adjust the shutter speed to the appropriate setting. I wish I could remember exactly what I did but in any case it was one of the options describe above and it took no more than a few minutes to figure out the right setting.

Good luck....
Dan Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Dan.

The shoot was yesterday and it appeared that only certain lights, and not the overheads, caused any flicker. Setting the shutter to 100th cured it completely. My main worry was that I might have to use 50th which you can't do with 60i. My backup plan was to shoot at 30P which they could easily convert to 60i if necessary and then I could shoot at 50th.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds