Upgrading from original EX-1. Cam suggestions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Many photographers and videographers look for something better, but never explore the full potential of what they already have.
Vincent that is the truth.

Single chip camera is a very different beast then the EX1/3. if you need SDOF which in my opinion is very over used you should go to a single chip. But most shooting really needs DDOF and the EX line is great as is the Panasonic line.

Charles have you made a move? Are you going to any of the Formula regattas?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM   #17
Major Player

Ex3 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
I have the EX1 but want the option of exchangeable lenses.

One alternative is EX3 with the addition of NanoFlash.

Another alternative is a Red Scarlet or Red Epic-S.

Different prices and EX3 is here now. The Reds maybe turn up at NAB.

Waiting or not waiting - that is the question ...
I understand your concern about cameras. I look at the matter as though different cameras serve different purposes. The EX3 is an excellent choice for an all around camera ... especially when it's coupled with a nanoflash, Ki Pro mini or any other 4.2.2 recorder. Now, if you want a camera that will make good commecials or films of any kind ... cannot speak for other types of output yet ... them a large sensor camera would be my first choice ... an alexia or a RED but I can't see how I can pay for such a camera yet. Many are in the same situation here. Until the dust settles ... I'd say sometime in summer or fall ... an EX3 is still the best choice for a 1/2 sensor camera! If you don't need to buy now ... wait.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The Red Scarlet with its 2/3" sensor is not giving such a shallow depth of field as the Alexa or F3. And the price? Nobody can be sure, but Red Scarlet users-to-be are discussing around $10k for a basic setup. Not so much more than the EX3 and then you get a much better camera.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
The Red Scarlet with its 2/3" sensor is not giving such a shallow depth of field as the Alexa or F3. And the price? Nobody can be sure, but Red Scarlet users-to-be are discussing around $10k for a basic setup. Not so much more than the EX3 and then you get a much better camera.
RED Scarlet recent prototype showings seem to be a fixed lens camera.

You really must define your target before you purchase the camera. I guess if you want a 2/3" camera at a reasonable price the Scarlet might fit the bill but the 1/2" EX3 is going to give you more lens flexibility.

I'm hearing about RED Epic-S at $12K and maybe that'll be a SDOF interchangeable lens camera. At that price range one may have to do a comparison between it and the Sony F3 for a few $K more.

Alternately there's the Panasonic AF-100 and Sony has NXCAM SDOF camera coming later this year.

I'd wait on buying anything unless you have a very short ROI on the purchase.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

The Red Scarlet comes in two flavours, both 2/3":

- Scarlet Fixed with a non-changable 8x zoom lens.
- Scarlet Cinema with options to use PL-mounted lenses, Nikon, Canon and many other brands of lenses.

The owners of Red One get the first Scarlets - and after them the rest of us. I have little hope to buy one even this year, at least that is what I fear. Therefore the best choice for me would be a second-hand EX3 with a NanoFlash, with the Adaptimax for my old and coming Nikon lenses. The EXs are great cameras ...
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds