Upgrading from original EX-1. Cam suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrading from original EX-1. Cam suggestions?

I am ready to turn over my Ex-1. I have had this since the early release of the camera. It has been my workhorse for everything from WEB, DVD, and some broadcast work.

I have a 7D set-up but still turn to the EX-1 for my main production camera.

The EX-1 is getting on in hours and I am thinking of replacing it with an EX-1R, EX-3 or.......?????

I travel quite a bit and enjoy keeping the EX-1 in a Porter Case for hassle free carry-on. Is easy carry-on possible with the EX-3 form factor?

Any news on upcoming cam releases that I should be aware of? Rumors?

Thanks for any info.

Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Ex 3 ...

What I have done as carry-on with the EX3 is take the lens off (one has to make-shift plastic back lens covers and exposed front cam cover ... tupperware lids will do) and set lens/cam side by side in a small bag.
This solves the carry-on problem. I have a shoulder brace and bracket attachment for a NanoFlash so the camera is a bit longer than without. I have been able to get a kata 502 on international planes out of Tokyo but I dare not bring this to the U.S.! I've heard of problems especially on domestic flights ... so, a smaller bag is necessary. In my view the EX3 is an idea cam especially when complimented by a NanoFlash or the AJA KiPro Mini for 4.2.2 acquisition. This makes the cam more viable in a broadcast media format. The PMW-350 is ideal but a large form camera and that has it's own problems along with a being greater investment.
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Dean, which bag do you use when you separate the lens from the camera? I've been thinking of doing that for carry on because to get out of town I have to fly on a 25 seat plane sometimes.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Major Player

case ...

I have a hard carry-on case ... Japanese model but similar to a Pelican 1510 No Foam Carry On Watertight Hard Case. Look into these cases if you don't need a back-pack. Get some foam and organize the insides as you see fit.
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Trustee

I am in the same situation, i love my EX1, but my B and C cams are 1D and 5D, and on the same timeline they look a bit differ from EX, I keep EX1 for steadicam and sound, but would love to replace it with larger sensor;
let's just wait till NAB, after that we'll see if it needs to be upgraded:)
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Charles, I would not see the point in an EX-1R upgrade unless you need SD. The two cameras are very close. With solid state I do not know what would be considered a lot of hours on one of these cameras but I would guess it is a lot longer than tape based cameras.

It sounds like you are wanting a visual upgrade to your image quality in the EX-1 size package. I do not think it exists. I am left wanting with the 5D & especially 7D for color. The EX-1 or other video cameras just look better when I get them on the timeline.

Until this Scarlet appears with 2/3" imagers I do not see anything out there that is really the same form factor and an upgrade to the EX-1.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I bet for a EX1-R... with 4:2:2 codec.
This combo will be amazing.
Sony, open 4:2:2 recording for the masses!
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I appreciate the feedback.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Space Hipster

Have you checked out the Canon XF300/305 cameras? They're a little bigger than the EX1 and you won't need a Nanoflash - they already record onto cheaper CF cards at 50mbps, 4:2:2 color. The images from the camera look great.
I've worked with the EX3 and that's also a terrific camera. It'd be a tough choice between the two, but the broadcast-quality codec from the XFs might move me in that direction.

BTW, what's wrong with the EX1? I would think it'd still be a viable camera.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Major Player

I wouldn't upgrade as yet, the Panny Af100 will be inetresting, the new Sony 35mm digi cam could be good too. Ex1r isn't a massive upgrade and the Canon's are great but they still have 1/3 " chips. I would invest in a Nano or Ninja.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Charles hope all is well. Lots of sailing in your area this winter, maybe we can catch up?

I have been in the same situation having 2-EX1’s and making money. Then I was forced to upgrade due to a couple of contracts and went Red One, PMW-350, then to the PDW-F800 it was expensive. I have now sold all of them and am back to the EX1/Nano for now. Some of them made money and other did not. My suggestion is to wait and keep using your EX1/Nano combo. Things are happening fast with camera companies chasing each other and the gear is getting cheaper. This is thanks to Red and Canon pushing the slow movers Panasonic and Sony. I see no reason to buy expensive gear at this time, unless a client demands it and pays the difference in your rate.

I bet by NAB or sooner we will see a few nice cameras with interchangeable lens that will be very cost effective and will compete with and improve upon the Panasonic AF100. But don’t sell your Nano!

The new Canon XF300 is not an upgrade from the EX from my viewing and a short hands on side-by-side with EX. If you did not own a EX the Canon XF is an excellent choice but it does not make sense to sell the EX and go with the Canon XF.

And who knows maybe Red or Canon might even have a new cameras, Sony will not let Panasonic run with the AF with out competition. Either way my advice is keep-making money with your current gear and wait till the new camera you see will make MORE money for you then your existing gear. This advice is based my own mistakes and I hope it helps.
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have owned both the Ex-1 the Ex-1R, the EX-3 and now the pmw 320. The most bang for the buck is the Ex-1R. BTW the pelican 1510 with custom interior for the Ex-1 will not fit the Ex-1R. I ordered a case from Cruzer Cases which was a 1510 with an insert for the Ex-1' The way is was configured you would have to take off the eye cup and the lens cover and then make a modification in the insert to allow the extra shoe the Ex-1R has on the handle. Side by side the 1 and the R seem identical. However, the cutout was way to tight for the R. I really like the cruzer carry on case but reluctantly sent it back. What I want is a similar case as the 1510 with a cutout for the Ex-1R that allows the camera to still have the lens hood and eye cup on the camera.

I guess the only way to get this is to get one of the cases with the "puck out " foam and make my own.

One problem with the "pluck out foam" make sure it is closed cell foam. The regular stuff emits a gas when it gets hot and a smoky film will appear on the outside and inside of your lens. Have you ever noticed a film on the inside of you car windows or dash board? That is the same process.

If you locate a hard case similar to the pelican 1510 that will fit the EX-1R please let us know.

One other thing.... since these new cameras have no tape mechanism the life of the Ex-1 should be many times longer than the tape cameras. I would consider sending the Ex-1 to Sony and have it cleaned and the firmware updated to the latest version. In the past we always thought about 200-400 hours on the heads was getting along in time. However, with the new solid state cameras they are really computers and should last thousands of hours.

Good luck

Ronnie
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Major Player

I'd keep the EX-1 and wait to see what happens with the next generation of cameras. It looks like we are going to larger single sensors. To me the EX1R is very incremental and not worth the money in my opinion if you already have the EX1.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:25 AM   #14
Trustee

In short the EX1 is a great camera, the EX3 is a better option especially if you want to add extra lenses (nikkors with an Adaptimax or Mike Tapas adapter).

Many photographers and videographers look for something better, but never explore the full potential of what they already have.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I have the EX1 but want the option of exchangeable lenses.

One alternative is EX3 with the addition of NanoFlash.

Another alternative is a Red Scarlet or Red Epic-S.

Different prices and EX3 is here now. The Reds maybe turn up at NAB.

Waiting or not waiting - that is the question ...
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds