XDCAM EX - Where to from here? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Russell -- that sounds terrific. One more item you might consider if you aren't aware of it: instructional DVD set for the EX1 and EX1R by Doug Jensen (Vortex Media), who is one of the regulars here on DVInfo. It was included when I got my camera last month. Good way to learn the basics.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I've often thought the next step in their evolution would be a camera or firmware upgrade which would allow the complete (albeit already pixel row skipped) signal out of HDMI. That would allow an Apple ProRes recording rather than H.264.
Sorry Craig, that won't really help. Even if you recorded uncompressed, let alone ProRes, all that would mean is that the motion aliasing gets faithfully preserved through the main production chain - ready to hit the final coder and mess it up. The only answer is to not let the front end of the camera produce the aliasing in the first place.

Unfortunately, the only easy way of doing that with DSLR type chips severely reduces the still capability of the camera. So not much use in a DSLR...... ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Of course one would argue that the above two things are addressed in the Panasonic AF100 but it remains to be seen what real world results are ......
The two things that the AF100 really addresses are usability etc, and in quality terms by putting an optical low-pass filter on the chip, which is still fundamentally a 12 megapixel still camera chip. It seems that the AF100 chip will still pixel-skip - but the OLPF will mean that the aliasing level will be substantially reduced. That's a big step forward - but don't then expect the AF100 to have good resolution as a still camera!

It seems that the F3 will have a dedicated video sensor, so no need to pixel-skip at all. The implication is it will give better performance still, and I'd expect substantially in terms of sensitivity. That's likely to be reflected in the extremely low noise figures being quoted, and that's what means they can sensibly start to consider 10 bit recording and S-log. There's no point even thinking about that in cameras with higher basic noise levels.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dobie View Post
Russell -- that sounds terrific. One more item you might consider if you aren't aware of it: instructional DVD set for the EX1 and EX1R by Doug Jensen (Vortex Media), who is one of the regulars here on DVInfo. It was included when I got my camera last month. Good way to learn the basics.
Hi Keith,

Already done! Winging its way over from the Yooonited States as I type this. I actually ordered it before I ordered the camera.

Thanks

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds