Hotel in St. Louis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hotel in St. Louis

Here' a rough cut for a promotional video for a hotel. I would love to hear your thoughts on the images. Any tips to improve them? Thanks!

Kyle McConaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Image wise I only really had an issue with the color of the food (drinks are great). Kind of off, flat, under-saturated. I was kind of so-so on the glare effect on the buffet table shot though.

Editing wise I think the text, while nicely pinned to the video elements, repeats itself far too much and shouldn't normally repeat after a cut. Perhaps start your text on the first shot and complete it on the second shot? Or show the first part of the sentence on the first shot, and second half of the sentence on the second shot.

Oh and the music started out okay but got really really annoying by the end.
Shayne Weyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Curious: how did you get away with putting a commercial video on Vimeo? Their policy strictly prohibits it?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's a good question Charles, but I don't see any problem with using Vimeo for this kind of thing. In their community guidelines they do say "No commercial use", but they also say:

"Exceptions: independent production companies, authors, musicians, non profits, churches, artists, and actors may show or promote the work they have created."

I'd say Kyle's video falls under that. They clearly don't want us to use Vimeo to offload hosting costs, or to use it to directly promote products for sale. I think that is where the "commercial use" would be. Posting samples of your work or something like this where you're asking for feedback — it seems totally fine to me as I understand it. They don't want Vimeo to turn into a crazy free-for-all like YouTube. I don't think any of us do either, that's why we use it. I'm not sure exactly what Vimeo wants to be when it grows up, but I do like it so far. Great alternative to YouTube.

Sorry to interrupt your thread with this Kyle. Very nice promo.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Nice! Looked super sharp on my hdtv.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds