Sharp edges look like green screen effect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Sharp edges look like green screen effect?

I shot my first footage of a stage show with the EX-1r. The more I look at it, the edges of my subjects (people on stage) look too defined. It looks like they are paper cut-outs placed on a background image. Almost looks like a very well done green screen shot. I don't know if this image will show it. Suggestions pls...
Attached Thumbnails
Sharp edges look like green screen effect?-edge-detail.jpg  
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

I always turn down the sharpness quite a bit in PP settings.

The stage lighting here seems pretty harsh, so a little less sharpening in the cam would help.

You should experiment a bit with different Picture profiles, to come up with settings that work for you.

A really good start is in the Vortex EX1 DVD and field guide. I highly recommend anyone using the EXcams gets one of Doug's Field guide books and or DVD's.
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Major Player

thx. Coincidently, I ordered both. Seems to be the only instructional series anyway but I like his approach.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi
The blue colour backlight (like 2xdaylight filter) often give some strange edges to the foreground. If you had put some backligt on the girls that maches the front - maybe 3200 kelvin - I am pretty shure you would have some more pretty edges.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds