Lightweight, cheap XDCAM SxS pro field transfer option at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Lightweight, cheap XDCAM SxS pro field transfer option

I originally intended to take my Macbook Pro in the field and transfer from the SxS pro cards to a couple of external hard drives but then I found this option.

It's a Vaio TT series laptop. <1kg, 7+ hours battery life. 64 bit processor and Windows 7 and 4 to 8GB of Ram. It turns out it's even more useful than I thought as the processor can easily handle running the Sony software (clip browser etc) and I could even hack together some quick edits. Expresscard 34 slot and SD/Mem stick too.

The reason I think it does so well is the Full HD 1080 capability it has as the machines could be spec'd up with a blueray drive (burner) and they have HDMI out. It pays Full HD video no probs even on battery.

They don't sell them new anymore (it was a very expensive top of the range laptop when new) but I've found them available refurb and personally bought one form Japan 2nd hand. 1/4 the price of a Macbook pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Lightweight, cheap XDCAM SxS pro field transfer option-vaiottsxs.jpg  
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Could you post up URLs of where you can get these?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Where to buy a TT

I bought the TT from a supplier here in Oz that will buy stuff for you from the Japanese auction site and bring them in for you - Yahoo!?????? The average price for a low edn one is about $500-600AU and a pretty nicely specced one about $800.

There's heaps of low mileage used ones or refurbs. If you don't have such a service in the US there's a company that imports them new for you guys (well the TZ which is the latest model) - Dynamism - Sony Vaio TZ Series

Sony Vaio TZ [VGN-TZ90/32ss/DVD/PremC/BBP/DEMO]
(Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 1.2 GHz, 32GB solid state HD, DVD±R DL, 1GB RAM, Bulk battery, Fingerprint Reader, English Vista Home Premium, Premium Carbon casing, 1 year warranty) - Open-box special
In stock. Approved orders ship same day if ordered by 5 pm EST.
$999.00

I believe the Japanese one's are the only one's that you can get bluray drives in and all the options like dual SSD drives and 8GB ram.

I think this clearance club website is a US one too ^ Sony VAIO VGN-TT290YBB
$1649 with SSD and bluray

Last edited by Damian Heffernan; November 13th, 2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added purchase price details
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

We've been using on occasion an older HP Mini-Note 2133 which came out in 2008. I don't believe the current Mini-Notes offer an ExpressCard slot. The model we got has a 7200rpm 160GB hard drive which was/is rare for its size and has other really nice specs: 1280x768 8.9" display, 1.2kg weight, gigabit ethernet, 2GB ram, . The CPU is useless but the combination of the right card slot, a fast hard drive and the GB ethernet was helpful to us.

HP 2133 Mini-Note PC (KX868AT) specifications - HP Products and Services Products
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Damian. Thanks Steve.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds