DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex-1 R battery drain fixed? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/487575-ex-1-r-battery-drain-fixed.html)

Ronnie Martin November 16th, 2010 12:50 PM

Ex-1 R battery drain fixed?

My original Ex-1 had a problem of battery drain when the camera was turned off. Anyone know if this was fixed with the Ex-1R?
When I first got the the Ex-1 by mistake I left the battery attached while driving home for several hours and found the battery exhausted when I tried to shoot again. I developed a habit of removing the battery before putting the camera in the bag (a good habit however). My first shoot with the Ex-1R was on a 9 day trip to Vermont and battery life was a constant worry since there was no way to recharge the battery along the way. When there was to be a hour between shoots I started removing the battery. It may have been unnecessary...

Has the battery drain problem with the EX-1 been fixed in the EX-1R?

Thanks

Ronnie

Brian Rhodes November 16th, 2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Martin (Post 1588623)
My original Ex-1 had a problem of battery drain when the camera was turned off. Anyone know if this was fixed with the Ex-1R?
When I first got the the Ex-1 by mistake I left the battery attached while driving home for several hours and found the battery exhausted when I tried to shoot again. I developed a habit of removing the battery before putting the camera in the bag (a good habit however). My first shoot with the Ex-1R was on a 9 day trip to Vermont and battery life was a constant worry since there was no way to recharge the battery along the way. When there was to be a hour between shoots I started removing the battery. It may have been unnecessary...

Has the battery drain problem with the EX-1 been fixed in the EX-1R?

Thanks

Ronnie

This is no longer a problem I sent my EX1's in to Sony and the circuit boards were replaced fixing the drain issue No charge..The EX1r does not have this issue.

Les Wilson November 16th, 2010 04:34 PM

The EX1R may not have the same issue as the EX1 but there is still a battery drain when powered off. I think an hour is as good a threshold as any to disconnect the battery.

Duncan Craig November 17th, 2010 03:48 AM

How does this affect Swit batteries like mine, which power the camera via the 12v plug instead of powering through the normal battery terminals. I always take my batteries out so i have no idea if my camera still has the problem.

Les Wilson November 17th, 2010 06:36 AM

It affects my Swit as well as the BP battery that came with the EX1R. IT takes a day or two but it does drain.

Olof Ekbergh November 17th, 2010 07:46 AM

I have an EX3 and an EX1R, both drain the battery in about 4-6 days.

As a matter of fact it killed one of my Sony 60 batts. I left it connected for a week or 2 when not shooting with the EX1R, by mistake. No warranty.

I am in the habit of always unplugging whatever batts are connected, whenever I will not be shooting within a few hours. That is I unplug my Swits, IDX, AB or remove my Sony batts on days I am not shooting.

Every camera I have ever had drains the batteries a little but the EX's seem to do this faster than any others.

Piotr Wozniacki November 21st, 2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1588894)
I have an EX3 and an EX1R, both drain the battery in about 4-6 days.

As a matter of fact it killed one of my Sony 60 batts. I left it connected for a week or 2 when not shooting with the EX1R, by mistake. No warranty.

I am in the habit of always unplugging whatever batts are connected, whenever I will not be shooting within a few hours. That is I unplug my Swits, IDX, AB or remove my Sony batts on days I am not shooting.

Every camera I have ever had drains the batteries a little but the EX's seem to do this faster than any others.

Hi Olof,

Your post made me wonder whether it's safe to leave those long 96Wh batteries, connected into the EX1 DC-in socket. What do you think?

And, did you have your EX1's PCBs replaced for the battery drain?

TIA

Piotr

Olof Ekbergh November 21st, 2010 11:35 AM

Hi Piotr,

I have an EX1R and the drain on that is the same as the EX3, not as bad as some reports on the original EX1.

I would not leave any batt in for long periods. That is how my Sony batt died. I typically turn the (inline to D-tap on the Swit) switch of to my NF and unplug the cable from the camera.

I try not ever leaving batteries in anything for more than a day or 2 when not in use, especially AA's, they can leak. I am also very careful about not leaving chargers on for long periods, they have been known to start fires. I have a friend who lost a house from Nicad charger.

I am now off to check out the new AF100.