24p System question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Not sure about the EX3 but on the EX1R, there is a top level menu called Video Set. One of the items in there is called 24p System. That setting can be set to 60i or 24PsF.
I'll have to look tonight when I get back to my camera but I thought the only place to select this is on the Genlock menu under OTHERS. For the EX3 and most likely the EX1 & 1R recording in HQ mode 24p is captured on the SxS card without pulldown. In SP mode however, it is captured as 60i and I don't think you can select to change that. Julio is correct that the selection of 24PsF or 60i for 24p is for the SDI output at least on the EX3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
On a related topic, if you had a b-camera that didn't have 24PsF, would you still shoot the EX in 24PsF and convert the b-camera in the NLE or would you shoot the EX in 24p-60i?
Yes, I have a Canon HV20 that I use as a backup cam/b-cam and even though that does insert pulldown I still shoot 24PsF on my EX3. I would rather remove pulldown on a small amount of footage used from my b-cam rather than all of the footage. When I cut 24p footage I always remove pulldown before doing any editing. That way I don't have to worry about telling the NLE if the footage includes pulldown or not and what variant it is (3:2 or 2:3:3:2).

I always capture to a CD nanoFlash when using my EX3 which is nice because when that receives a 24PsF signal it captures as progressive. It also can remove pulldown as it captures which is a nice when shooting with cameras that only output 24p on a 60i timeline (like my HV20).

-Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds