PMW-350, problem inserting SxS card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW-350, problem inserting SxS card

Hello,
I have been using my PMW-350 since april 2010 and have not encountered any issues. However, for various reasons, the camera has sat unused in its carrier for the past month in a temperature controlled (i.e. air conditioned) room. Yesterday, I removed the camera and attempted to insert a Sony SxS card into slot A and found a significant amount of physical resistance. Slot B allowed for smooth entry. I examined slot A with a flashlight and noticed a tiny vertical tab about 3/4 of inch in from the mouth of the slot that when pressed with a thin metal probe appears to be spring loaded. A similar tab was not found in slot B. I pressed it down a few times, after which the card entered the slot properly. Following use, I removed the card and put the camera away for the night. This morning I am back to square one ... the card will not enter without some manipulation of that tab.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue? Is it safe to place a small drop of oil on the tab or does this sound like a Sony warranty issue?

Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Problem resolved.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Major Player

would you post the solution in case someone else has this problem?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Major Player

The solution to the "A"slot issue noted in the initial post is the result of what one probably should not do without the right instrument and an ounce of "devil-may-care." Simply put, the small vertical tab or post described in the referenced entry appears to be spring loaded. Using a very thin, stainless steel probe I pressed down on the post which allowed the SxS card to be inserted with ease and then left the SxS in the slot overnight. Seems to have done the trick, but only time will tell.

I might mention, that for some odd reason, slot "B" does not seem to have the aforementioned post ... wonder function it portends?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds