seeking creative advice for music vid shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

seeking creative advice for music vid shoot

Time for creatives to come out of the shadows. EX-3 user, 2 weeks away from shooting a music video - 90% solo guitarist. Shooting in beautiful 14 century church, so magnificent row of stone arches to be subtly lit in background with shadows. Want to shoot something much like Bruce Springsteen Devils and dust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNz_...147B4&index=30

Simple as it appears, it is extremely well lit and etc. Other than begging, borrowing, stealing and/or maybe even buying a dslr for the job, does anyone have suggestions how to go about shooting the hands on the guitar and managing to have shallow enough dof to pull focus from one hand to the other?
Any suggestions for picture profiles for the ex3? a lens other than stock?
Will be doing multiple takes to playback and can of course alter lighting etc.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Trustee

If precise manipulation of a shallow DOF is a key item for this production, it's probably going to be best accomplished with a DSLR, or a Letus type adapter on the EX and 35mm SLR lenses.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Trustee

Use a Nikon lens with an adaptimax lens mount, this will give you a nice shallow DOF and allow you some distance on your subject.
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Major Player

It's a shame you're not nearer Leeds, you could borrow my Brevis.
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Seems to me a basic cameraman's knowledge of his/her lense. Does the EX3 lense you are using have a macro? then problem solved. If not, increase the distance from the subject, and use the zoom. The further away you are, the more depth you have with the zoom. More experience with your own rig would solve this....practice!
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the contributions guys. Problem with the increase distance and zoom in, is that the angles involved if trying to rack focus between two hands on a guitar would require me to dig a hole for the lower hand and climb a ladder for the upper. I think (and don't believe me if I deny the lust for more toys) to buy a canon 60D and a 50mm prime lens. Oh dear. Maybe we need a new thread for how many excuses do we need to part with cash. and thanks for the offer Duncan, but how can one borrow a Christmas present to oneself?
David Herman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds