Angle setting vs shutter speed in interlaced mode- try this test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Angle setting vs shutter speed in interlaced mode- try this test

I feel compelled to send the link of a thread I started in the Sony Z1 forum, as I am keen to know if any EX1r user (that might have missed this) has an opinion

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...0-shutter.html

please have a look at the last posts, to see that we've noticed a strange lack of correspondence between shooting at 1/60 when in 30p and shooting with the 180 degrees setting, whereas in theory they should be equivalent (and similarly shooting at 1/50 when in 25p)

check by yourselves!
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't find anything strange in the fact that the shutter angle notion, brought from the film domain, only really applies to progressive video.
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Major Player

There is no magic about 180 deg shutter. It is, as Piotr says, an artefact of film cameras. The shutter had to be closed while the film was pulled down to the next frame, and the simplest mechanism allowed the shutter to be open for half the framing rate. The 16mm Bolex cameras (famous H16RX series) had a shutter opening of 165 deg max, and there were cameras (with accelerated pull down) that allowed more than 180 degrees). Shutter openings were adjusted to prevent flicker in lighting (between 90 and 200 deg, commonly 144 deg for 60Hz power and 24fps) and to suit action. The "film look" is not achieved by setting shutter angle. It is achieved by lighting, colour grading, and technique.
I note (in that Z1 thread) that someone said the film look (24fps) is supposed to look jerky. Not to my eye, but if you shoot with high shutter speeds (or small shutter angles) you certainly will see jerkiness in motion. If you are in PAL countries there is no sense in shooting 24 instead of 25 fps.
Not too long ago there was a thread about shooting "shutter off", where somebody enthusiastically claimed that all Hollywood features are shot 180 deg shutter on digital cameras (their eyes knew this), despite most features still being shot on film. Try shooting 25P with shutter off; I think you will be surprised by the nice results (unless you're filming sports and such like). In 60Hz countries, try 30P (motion certainly will be smoother).
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For those who are confused by all this, the intent is "motion blur." With the proper shutter speed/angle, the motion will blur and thus appear smooth, not jerky. Also at lower frame rates such as 24fps one must be more careful about camera pan rates (use slower panning) to avoid jerkiness.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Major Player

panning at 24fps, 7 seconds for a point to cross the frame. Indeed, motion blur is your friend. But we've debated this before.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds