EX1r lens noise.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1r lens noise....

I shot some clips in complete silence, and I was surprised to notice that the zoom noise is actually picked up by the internal mic (the noise lasts for 1or 2 seconds after each movement)

I am wondering if my Ex1r has an issue - anyone has experienced this?

I am obviously talking about a minimum noise but still noticeable

Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Assuming that you are refering to acoustic generated noise rather than electrical noise, then unless it is very loud I would expect this to be normal. If you listen carefully with your ear close to the lens, then you will also hear the motors. Of course, if you have the mic gain set at the maximum then this would be even more likely; what you need to determin is the relative level of this noise to the level of your subject sound, in practice it could well be that it won't be noticed. This is one good example why the professionals use external mics!

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Addis View Post
This is one good example why the professionals use external mics!
And rarely zoom.
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

....and floss....always floss.

sorry

;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #5
New Boot

Is this also normal for auto focus?

I can have everything set to manual except autofocus and the microphone picks up some slight buzzing noises. Turn autofocus off and there is no noise.

Is it normal to pick up a little noise from autofocus servos?

This is only noticeable in extreme silent situations.

Thank you.
James Larkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's normal.

If you want to avoid it, do not use AGC.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
It's normal.
If you want to avoid it, do not use AGC.
AGC stands for "Auto Gain Control" and would have absolutely nothing to with the lens making noise.

As for the auto-focus servos making noise, of course they'll make noise.
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

You're right Doug, AGC has nothing to do with the lens servos making the noise but when you use AGC the camera will boost the mic sensitivity in quiet conditions and the mic will pickup the lens servos buzzing and grinding. And not only lens servos, your own breathing, creaking from clothes etc.

Note that I'm talking about audio gain, not imaging sensor gain.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #9
New Boot

I did have the AGC turned off.
I still pick up the buzzing from the autofocus mechanism. More buzzing when im using zoom and moving the camera a bit.
Makes sense as the autofocus would be working harder.
Its only noticeable in silent conditions. The autofocus seems to be working properly so I guess it's normal as mentioned before.

It does make sense that the servos would make noise as I use many servos in another unrelated hobby of mine. It's just that the buzzing noise had me a little paranoid as this is the most I have spent on a
camera. :)

Thanks
James Larkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Do you have the mic and channel gain controls set to the maximum or high? What kind of mic are you using? Unless I'm recording in a quiet studio environment with virtually no action or talent sound, I normally find that these unwanted noises are at a level that will not be heard by the general public viewer.

The best way to improve the sound is to use an external mic, either a radio or shotgun (on a boom), positioned as close to the source as possible as this will improve the ratio of wanted to unwanted sound.

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds