EX3 Noob Needs Battery Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 Noob Needs Battery Advice

I have a EX3 with one BPU30. I need more Battery's but I'm not sure what direction to go in , my budget is modest.

Thanks
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

There are Swit batteries and Switronix and a few others as well that work very well and they have D-taps to use for additional accessories like lights as well.

Here is one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655645-REG/Switronix_EX_L96_EX_L96_14_4v_96W_Lithium_Ion.html
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Major Player

The battery Olof refers to is available under several names. There is also a battery that is between the one you have and the one Olof is recommending, if weight and size are a consideration. You can find it here:

Charger TC400 EX1

This page shows the item in a clearer manner. It's the one at the top of the page:

http://www.nanoflash.net/batteries_and_chargers

Once you get into powered accessories, you have to decide what kind of battery connector you are going to live with. The Anton Bauer PowerTap connector sometimes called a P-Tap or D-Tap connector is an industry standard that many shooters use. Getting a D-tap connector on an inexpensive battery like this is unique and well worth the investment as it gives you a lot of flexibility when setting up for a shoot.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have the SWIT 8U62. Don't get confused with the Swittronix as I did. The latter is bigger and the D-Tap comes out the bottom. The 8U62 has the D-Tap coming out the back as shown in Andrew's second link.

Also be aware that while these batteries mount on the camera as the Sony's do, the power does not go through those connectors. You must use the batterie's built-in cable to the external power tap on the EX3.

You can read up on these batteries here on DVInfo by searching.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

G'day Brent,

I looked long and hard at this issue. In the end I got an extra 2 x BP-U60 batteries for the camera but I also purchased a 7.2 AH lead acid, sealed cell, battery ($29.00), a small plastic box ($6), 6 x 2.5mm chassis mount sockets ($4 ea), 12 x 2.5 mm plugs ($3.5), 2 hirose connectors ($12 ea, these are for my NanoFlash). I have made up a heap of 12 Volt, 2.5mm plug-ended patch leads that power my 7" monitor, LED video lights, nanoFlash and camera (I got the special 12V plugs for the camera from Bob Grant - thanks Bob).

So for around $100.00 I can power everything and for a fairly long time. I can charge the battery with a small 12 Volt battery charger (nothing special about it) or slowly with any 12 Volt plug pack I have lying around. I can strap the battery to the shoulder brace that I got from Olof, or it can hang from my tripod in a small bag made for the job.I reckon I've saved hundreds of bucks on this.

Next year I have to fly to the other side of Australia to do a job. I'm going to leave my 12 V battery here and just buy another when I get to the other end (for $29.00, who cares?) When I leave to come home, I'll just leave the battery behind. (Again, who cares?) I won't have airline carry-on rules to worry about, the batteries are sold fully charged and I probably won't need to take my charger with me either.

Cheers

Russ.
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Vortex Media

Wow, that sounds like way too much trouble and a lot of wasted resources for you and the environment.
I went with a couple extra BPU30 batteries and a BPU60. More than a enough to last me all day.

I'm extra glad I didn't invest in other batteries now that I'll be getting an F3 as soon as they start shipping. The 3rd party batteries that require plugging in a cord to power an EX1/3 won't work on the F3 because it has a traditional 4-pin XLR power connector. Fortunately for me my BPU30s and BPU30 work great on the new F3.

The EX1R and EX3 may be the last cameras that ever use that yellow connector. Just food for thought when deciding what batteries to invest in.
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Doug,

there will be no wasted resources. I said I would leave the battery behind, I didn't say I would dump it! lol. I could do this 50 times and still not spend the kind of money they are asking for some of the Lithium-ion solutions of similar capacity. I have friends over the "other side" and one has a boat with an echo sounder, so he'll put it to good use. The "effort" was nothing really. Probably took about 5 minutes each to make the cords. The savings more than justify a few minutes work making cords.

Recently this setup ran for six hours and six minutes while I did a time-lapse shot of one cycle of tidal change in the estuary where I live. Worked like a charm.

Each to his own I guess.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Contributor

Russ, Lead Acid batteries are for sure much cheaper than Li-Ion ones, due to their simplicity. Still, when describing your approach, you better tell the whole story. While a typical 6-7AH Li-Ion battery weighs only ~.5lb -1lb, a Lead Acid battery will be 6-7lb due to its much lower charge density. This is why the Lead Acids lost the battle 15 years ago in all the mobile applications. Also, the Li-Ion cells are capable of accepting fast 2-3 hours charge, while the Lead Acids only take slow overnight charge. (There are some exceptions like Panasonic SLA, but they are not made by Panasonic anymore, due to diminished demand)
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Absolutely right Alex. You could say that I "weighed" up the two options, but still went for the lead-acid. The 7.2 AH was 2.4 Kg. Charge rates don't bother me that much. When near a mains supply I would opt for using that to run most equipment. When on a long shoot away from a mains power source the battery will be good for many hours running everything I have, but it is most unlikely that I'll need to back up and do it all again before the battery has had adequate time to recharge.

I would have gone for the 9.0 AH but it was just too heavy. I have just spent 20 Grand on camera gear etc and to go another couple of G's just wasn't an option at this time. I have no doubt that I will go for a Li-Ion option somewhere down the track, just not atm.

Right now, this setup works perfectly well for what I do - which is mainly tripod based work.

Cheers
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds