Looking for a good portable light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Trustee

I asked my local Abel Cine to ship one in so I can compare the output to an Arri 300w. However, I just added up the cost of an Arri 300 with barndoors, filter frame, bulb, full single scrim and filter pack (incl. diffusion paper & color filters). The total cost for 2 300's & extras is $996. Compare that to the $1100 for 2 SolaENG's and the Sola's look pretty darn good. Too bad I didn't make this comparison yesterday because I just ordered 2 Arri 300's today.

Hmmmmm....I can power the Sola's from Swit batteries....2 of the Sola's and my Dedo LEDzilla would be a great little field kit. I think I might need to change my order.

Olof,

On a side note, do you use Swit or Switronix batteries? I just ordered 2 Swit 88whr batteries and I was wondering how reliable they are compared to IDX. I also ordered the Swit 2 channel charger.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:22 PM   #17
Sponsor: Westside AV

My most portable no AC field light kit is 2 8x12 LED panels and the Sola, all runs on IDX V-mount batteries.

And fits with stands in a small bag. Some Tough Rolex and a couple reflectors/scrims and some gels.

All of it less than 20LBS.

Times are a changing...
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #18
Trustee

Olof,

that looks like a great little light that could be used on camera or in other situations as an eye light or small accent light. Can I ask how much it cost you?

-Garrett
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Olof,

that looks like a great little light that could be used on camera or in other situations as an eye light or small accent light. Can I ask how much it cost you?

-Garrett
I payed $499.00 from my local dealer here in NH. AccessAVNH.com. Kevin is a really nice guy and very knowledgeable. He helps me out a lot by loaning me equipment so I can develop rigs for different cameras.
Old December 24th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #20
Trustee

Seeing as how no one has mentioned it I am very happy with the Comer 1800 on my EX1. Yes it comes with two D-Tap leads (one short, one long) which is great if you use any of the 3rd party batteries which have a D-Tap socket.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I second that, Bob!
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Seeing as how no one has mentioned it I am very happy with the Comer 1800 on my EX1. Yes it comes with two D-Tap leads (one short, one long) which is great if you use any of the 3rd party batteries which have a D-Tap socket.
I think that is what I am going to get. Impressed with their specs and price.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Doesn't the Comer have the odd 4500K color temperature that throws a little blue wash indoors and a little amber wash outdoors because it matches neither? I recall seeing some indoor wedding reception footage here on DVInfo that looked simply wretched because of it.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Yes, it is 4500K - but I have no problem with it. For outdoors it's OK as is; for typical indoors situations it has the amber filter ready (and the light is strong enough for the filter to not cause too much a light loss).

BTW, apart from LAColorShop in the US, you can order the Comer lights from MxM Express.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM   #25
Major Player

Don't buy from this guy

(Greenlife-style) on Ebay sells the HDV Z96 but won't give you any support if it is faulty. I want to use it exclusively with AA batteries but you cannot open the battery door unless you force it open. I guess I will have to carry around a pair of pliers on every shoot.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Second z96 that I bought also came with a very tight fitting battery door. I usually run the light of a d-tap from a 14.4v battery but I wanted an option to pop in AA's at any time so I just threaded one small piece of wire tie through the small holes under the tabs in the external battery mount. It's easy to open now, no pliers needed.

It will loosen after a while and be easier to open.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Doesn't the Comer have the odd 4500K color temperature that throws a little blue wash indoors and a little amber wash outdoors because it matches neither? I recall seeing some indoor wedding reception footage here on DVInfo that looked simply wretched because of it.
In situations where I want true daylight. I just slip a piece of 1/4 CTB gel behind the focusing attachment. That get's it pretty close to 6500K. As others have said it has the CTO built in to get it down to 3200K. That being said, these days I'm usually dealing with a mixture of color temperatures from fluorescents and windows. There are very few true tungsten fixtures left anywhere as they have been replaced almost completely with fluorescent bulbs. Those bulbs color temperature can range between 3200K and 5500K depending on the type of bulb, so 4500K is a good happy medium.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #28
Trustee

Olaf,

I just received one of the 2 SolaENG lights and I was wondering if you use AC power. If so, what part do you use? I can't seem to find any AC adapter for it.

Also, what adapter is good for mounting it onto a light stand (normal 5/8")?

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Olaf,

I just received one of the 2 SolaENG lights and I was wondering if you use AC power. If so, what part do you use? I can't seem to find any AC adapter for it.

Also, what adapter is good for mounting it onto a light stand (normal 5/8")?

Thanks
Any 12v power supply will work. I have an old NRG with a 4 pin XLR out, I just made an 4 pin to D-tap cable.

But most of the time I just use my IDX plate D-tap out. I actually have one mounted on a light stand cross bar, nice because I can use it real low or directly over head.

Also I have a bunch of light stands with 1/4" -20 threaded ends as well as 5/8' ends. There are lots of clamp systems available. I like the "magic" clamp, clamps to anything ( think that is what it is called).
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #30
Trustee

What size batteries do you use and how long do they power a SolaENG?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds