Looking for a good portable light - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Also I have a bunch of light stands with 1/4" -20 threaded ends as well as 5/8' ends. There are lots of clamp systems available. I like the "magic" clamp, clamps to anything ( think that is what it is called).
Magic clamps are great and have been a staple to many for a while. Manfrotto also has smaller ones called Nanoclamps - less well known but in some applications more useful than Magic clamps. B&H has them and should be available at most local pro photography outfits.

I wish my stands had 1/4" - 20 threaded holes in them. They are difficult to find now.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #32
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
What size batteries do you use and how long do they power a SolaENG?
Solas draw 35w at full power (just what I seem to remember). Less at lower power settings. So it is easy to figure how long a batt will last.

I mostly use IDX batts with a 110w/h rating, so at full power I should get about 3 hrs, maybe a little less, be conservative.

A 60wh like the big Sony EX batt or a Swit 62 should give an hour and a half anyway at full power.

The only real way to find out is to try your battery at the power setting you use the light at the setting you want and time it. You get a feeling for it after a while. Also batts these days usually have LED indicators to show power left, they are not all that accurate but you get feel for them too after a while.
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #33
Trustee

I just found this AC to D-tap power adapter - this should work, correct?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554537-REG/Frezzolini_95111_FPS_50PT_Compact_Power_Supply.html
FYI, to anyone coming across this thread looking for the SolaENG 3, I compared it next to an Arri 300w fresnel and the Sola outputs roughly 240w. Also, I just noticed that Litepanels now has Lux ratings for the Sola 3 and Sola 6 on their website.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I just got my Sola light from my dealer...The build is really rugged, and it will make a great on cam or stand light. It comes with a bunch of gels and a D-tap plug.

This is the best most versatile light I have ever seen.

I'm headed into a rugged environment with run and gun inside and outside and so need to change color temp fast. I can't tell for sure how the gels mount. From the brochure, they have a tab as if there's a slot in the light.

Are the gels for indoor color temp stiff enough to go between pocket and camera with little fuss?
Will the gels stay put thru normal movements?
Is the light end of the coiled power cord secure?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post

1) Are the gels for indoor color temp stiff enough to go between pocket and camera with little fuss?

2) Will the gels stay put thru normal movements?

3) Is the light end of the coiled power cord secure?
1) I haven't used them yet, but they seem rather thin and flimsy.

2) na

3) the power cord is hardwired.
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #36

Quote:
I'm headed into a rugged environment with run and gun inside and outside and so need to change color temp fast. I can't tell for sure how the gels mount. From the brochure, they have a tab as if there's a slot in the light.

Are the gels for indoor color temp stiff enough to go between pocket and camera with little fuss?
In my opinion, the gels are really like plexiglass squares with handles, quite rugged.
They clip on by bending in the corners snap in, quite rugged.
As Kalle points out the cable is hard wired very rugged.

OK a little T&C but I like this light and it is rugged.

PS. I have no affiliation with Light panels and I don't sell them, this is just my opinion.

You can easily make your own filters for it too. Just tape a gel to a plexiglass piece of plastic frosty or clear cut it to the right shape and it will plop in.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Is there a slot or holder on the fixture for the gel?
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:

If need seriously rugged and don't mind weight and spending money then the Zylight Z90 is as good as it gets. Push button switching between daylight and tungsten plus you can dial in any CT, down to something that'll match candlelight.

If you want cheap, the Z96 is very cheap, the gels affix via magnets and really stay on well. If you want more light and are willing to spend a bit more the Comer 1800 is pretty flexible and quite rugged and the tugnsten gell cannot get lost.

Yes, the battery compartment is a little stiff to open when new, no you don't need pliers to open it, just grab the rail for the Sony battery and pull after releasing the latch. I've resold around 30 of them down here I bought as a group buy and no one has had a problem. One local even modded his so it'd accept the Sony L series batteries that he had lying around and they work just as well with those. I'm going to order some parts to make up D Tap leads for the Z96.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
If need seriously rugged and don't mind weight and spending money then the Zylight Z90 is as good as it gets. Push button switching between daylight and tungsten plus you can dial in any CT, down to something that'll match candlelight.
I had actually settled on the Lowel Blender light which is about half the price of the Zylight. The Blender also lets you dim and blend to get the CT needed without gels. Except for the geling, The Sola looks nice.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #40
Trustee

Well, after getting my 2nd SolaENG today, I don't know if these are made well. They have a small fan in them, which seems dumb as they are meant for on-camera, and this unit's fan is already bad and making a loud sound. My first unit seems ok but its fan is still noticeable and could never be placed near a microphone.

Olof, what has your experience been?
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #41
Major Player

Never heard of the Solar fan problems before - and my new Solar is on its way - argh....
I was tired of using my Zylight Z90 that works great in daylight but when you fade it down, at 3200k, it suddenly turns green at about 50-75% -
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #42
Major Player

I just ordered my SOLA ENG 3 yesterday morning.
Wish you would have posted a day earlier Steve. :-)
Steve, have you corresponded with Lite Panels about the problem?
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #43

I must be lucky, I have never heard the fan at all.

I will listen carefully today.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #44
Trustee

Well guys, I bought these to use in place of Arri 300w fresnels; so, if you are as well, you will need many more pieces including a light stand adapter (I'm getting 2 from Dedo) and either more batteries with D tap or a Frezzolini D-tap to AC adapter for $180 each which I also ordered. The other issue is there are only 2 barndoors rather than the standard 4 on the Arri's, which makes controlling light a bit more difficult. Looking back, I don't know if I made the right decision. For those interested, I will make a recording of their fans and a quick comparison of the Sola and Dedo LEDzilla.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #45

I just listened, and my fan is so quiet I had not noticed it earlier, yes it is there but barley perceptible.

It would not effect a shotgun mic on the camera. Possible it could affect the built-ins but my zoom motors are way louder on my EXcams. If yours are noisier I would contact LitePanels.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds