Switronix D-Tap & EX3 Cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Switronix D-Tap & EX3 Cable

Has anyone used the Switronix XP-EX-S20 or XP-EX-S48 cable to power from a V-mount battery to both the EX3 and a light or monitor?

I am looking to use large V-mount batteries on a Zacuto shoulder rig for counterweight in addition to the Dedo LEDzilla on-camera light.

Does it matter that Switronix states that the power via this cable is unregulated?
from their site:
"Input: DC 11-17v
Output for Camera Pin Connection: DC11-17v, Unregulated
Output for P-Tap: DC 11-17v, Unregulated"

Is 'P-Tap' the same as D-tap? The picture looks like a D-tap. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571126-REG/Switronix_XP_EX_S20_XP_EX_S20_Adapter_Cable_Assembly.html
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

P-tap and D-tap are the same.

Make sure you check wattage. That is if your battery outputs 55w then add up the wattage of lights monitor camera etc, to make sure you don't exceed or you will blow the fuse in IDX or AB battery plates, some batteries have built in protection that may turn off battery as well.

Larger Gold mount or V-mount batts are often 50w or 55w, check the specs. It is a good idea to leave a little buffer as well. I have also found that if you turn on everything at once that can exceed the wattage.

Most 12v batteries output 16-17v when fully charged and drop below 12v as they discharge. A lot of equipment (like cameras) turn off when voltage drops below 11v.

Also keep your batteries warm in the winter they will last much longer. Iron oxide hand warmer packs are great for this.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Olof, just who I wanted to talk to. Do you still make the V-mount plates with EX3 power cable? If so, can you make a custom length. The image below is the shoulder rig I am getting so the length of the cable is important.

I would have considered your mount with handles but I need something now. Sorry, but my back pain can't wait any longer and I already know this Zacuto rig will help. Plus, the Zacuto rig will work for both my EX1 and EX3 and future F3.

This is the cable I will use to power the Dedo. I assume its a standard D-tap even though it is listed for Swit batteries. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/654091-REG/Dedolight_DLOBML_SWIT_DLOBML_SWIT_22_Cable_for.html

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Switronix D-Tap & EX3 Cable-indie-inset_762.jpg  
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Steve, I just emailed you.
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Olof, just who I wanted to talk to. Do you still make the V-mount plates with EX3 power cable? If so, can you make a custom length. The image below is the shoulder rig I am getting so the length of the cable is important.

I would have considered your mount with handles but I need something now. Sorry, but my back pain can't wait any longer and I already know this Zacuto rig will help. Plus, the Zacuto rig will work for both my EX1 and EX3 and future F3.

This is the cable I will use to power the Dedo. I assume its a standard D-tap even though it is listed for Swit batteries. Dedolight DLOBML-SWIT 22" Cable for SWIT DLOBML-SWIT B&H

Thanks
Steve,

I am selling just about everything in the zacuto kit you are buying with the exception of the pistol grips... i may be able to save you some $$$.

pm me if you are interested.

Greg

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...o-goodies.html
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds