Gear Pitch on Iris and Zoom Rings of EX3 & EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Gear Pitch on Iris and Zoom Rings of EX3 & EX1

Does anyone know what the gear pitch is for the EX3 zoom and iris rings for rigging up motors and follow focus type equipment?

Looks like .8 / 36 teeth but I don't have any at hand to verify.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes .8 but there are no teeth around where the zoom lever screws in which is a real PITA.
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is a real shame that on the ex-1r and ex-3 that a provision for a focus block was not made so that you could use a tripod and manual speedometer cable type focus control. I have the ex-1r the Ex-3 and now the pmw320. So far I have not been able to find a focus block from anybody that will match up with the tapped hole and set post of the 320 or the 350. This makes is especially hard when using any of these three cameras on a tripod and long term shoots. For short term or shoots without a tripod the cameras are awesome.

The fix from Varizoom is pricey and looks a little fragile to me.

Ronnie
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Alister. Just looking at the EX3 a moment ago. The zoom and iris rings definitely have different teeth spacing.

A note for others that may trip on this thread... one can overcome the problem with the lack of teeth around the removable zoom handle bymounting your motor and/or gear wheel on the other side of the camera. Not ideal as many prefer to mount stuff on the left side of the camera.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds