Budget Follow Focus & Matt Box for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Trustee

Budget Follow Focus & Matt Box for EX3

I'm finally at the point where I've realized the need for a matte box and follow focus system for my EX3. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to spend the full load to go with one of the better set ups such as a Chrosziel so I'm gong to have to go budget for now. I realize that this will most likely not be my last set up but I'm looking for something that will get the job done for now. I'm hoping to stay in the $800 plus or minus range for a matte box (hopefully with French and side flags), follow focus and rails.

I'd be really interested in hearing any recommendations for a budget set up or a good place to find a good deal. Or maybe if someone knows of a used setup for a good price I'd really appreciate it.

Also, am I just kidding myself in trying to go on a budget here? Like I said, I realize that if I do go budget it will mean later spending more money to upgrade but I'm going to be shooting a project in late February that will really benefit from having a setup. After that I may be able to raise more cash to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

-Garrett
Old December 31st, 2010, 06:07 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Garrett I got a Cavision matte box for my HPX301 and it is very good for the price, I got the rails and the rest of the system inc grips from here:Overland Films Marketplace

As for follow focus I got a JBK one off e-bay and it does the job OK: :::* JBK CINEQUIPT** :::
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Gary. Looking into them.

-Garrett
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Trustee

Has anyone used the Shoot35 Cinefocus with an EX3 or EX1/r and can give me some feedback?

Here's a link to their FF: Welcome to shoot35!

It looks like a nice lower priced unit.

Also, does anyone know of any dealers in the US and preferably in the Northern California area?

Thanks,
Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds