DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Bottom plate attached, and EX warranty (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/489802-bottom-plate-attached-ex-warranty.html)

Piotr Wozniacki January 6th, 2011 06:49 AM

Bottom plate attached, and EX warranty

OK, so the time has come for my EX1 to be sent in to Sony for an overhaul, before my Prime Support (extended for the 3rd year) expires.

Just a questions to those who - like myself - are using their EX cameras with one of the reinforced plates attached at the bottom (mine is from Olof): did you remove it before sending your camera to Sony for any reason, while the camera was still under warranty?

I wouldn't like Sony to use the presence of the plate as a reason to invalidate y Prime Support warranty...

Piotr

Don Bloom January 6th, 2011 07:11 AM

IMO, it's always best to remove anything you can especially anything that isn't stock to the camera.
when I've sent cams to Sony in the past I've even removed the mic holder, no battery, anything I could that reduces the chance of it being "lost".

Chris Hurd January 6th, 2011 07:16 AM

When you send a camera in for factory service, *nothing* should
go with it -- no battery, no media, no power supply, no UV filter,
etc. Might be time to write an article about this...

Piotr Wozniacki January 6th, 2011 07:28 AM

Very true, guys - if I'm even considering leaving the plate is because re-attaching it with those tiny screws can ruin them...

Other than that, I always remove anything not essential from the camera.

Olof Ekbergh January 6th, 2011 09:07 AM

Yes absolutely remove all parts or you may not get them back.

Piotr Wozniacki January 6th, 2011 10:05 AM

OK, I guess nobody reasonable enough could answer my question differently:)

So, let me put it that way: has anyone had warranty problems at Sony because of attaching the plate?

Alastair Traill January 6th, 2011 02:38 PM

I sent my EX3 in for a firmware update without a microphone bracket and it came back with one. I was told it was a better bracket.

Walter Brokx January 9th, 2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1605006)
OK, I guess nobody reasonable enough could answer my question differently:)

So, let me put it that way: has anyone had warranty problems at Sony because of attaching the plate?

Contact Sony saying you are considering buying the plate, but you want to make sure it doesn't affect your warrenty...

(Just a thought)

Vincent Oliver January 9th, 2011 08:39 AM

I don't see why a plate should invalidate your warranty, no more so than attaching your camera to a tripod.

However, I would remove it before sending it in, as someone else pointed out, things can get lost. If you are worried about ruining the screws then get a screwdriver that is the correct size, there should be no other reason to ruin a screw or thread.

Walter Brokx January 11th, 2011 03:36 AM

@ Vincent:

we're talking about a baseplate that is attached with extra screws.
You have to replace screws in the body of the camera. This means you are 'opening' the body (even if you don't really open it), so there is a slight chance Sony doesn't think it's the same as attaching it to a tripod.

We can all speculate; Sony will know the anwser...

Vincent Oliver January 11th, 2011 04:30 AM

Not sure which baseplate you are talking about, but the majority that I have seen just attach via the tripod screw. On the EX3 there is a rear attachment which uses screws, don't forsee any problems with that either.