DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1R as HD player (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/489864-ex1r-hd-player.html)

Keith Dobie January 7th, 2011 12:58 PM

EX1R as HD player

The EX1R works perfectly when looking at raw camera footage. I just connect via HDMI to my plasma TV.
What I'd also like to be able to do is use the camera as an HD player once in a while. It would be great to be able to use it on location to play demo videos on a client's HDTV. Has anyone found a way to put an edited, finished video back on a SxS card so that it can play in the camera? Or is it just too difficult to recreate the BPAV file structure and formats needed to do this?

Buba Kastorski January 7th, 2011 01:29 PM

Expensive player, huh:)
wouldn't it make more sence to get an iPad, or even better tablet from major manufacturer that coming very soon and there you go, you have an inexpensive and stand alone player for your demo videos plus some other basic computer functionality.

Julio Veas P. January 7th, 2011 02:07 PM

Look for this

WD TV Live

I have one and it can reproduce even the native xdcam ex files (with latest firmware)

greetings

Keith Dobie January 7th, 2011 02:21 PM

Hi Julio & Buba, thanks for replying. Good ideas, I will be getting a tablet or a little netbook to play HD video at client meetings, conferences, etc. Have seen the WD device and it looks interesting too, especially as a way of repeating a video all day long at a trade show. Obviously wouldn't want to use the EX for those situations! The idea behind this is just to teach the EX1R a new trick which might be useful occasionally -- and I like the idea of not having to carry around an extra piece of gear when it's not necessary.

Garrett Low January 7th, 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Veas P. (Post 1605401)
Look for this

WD TV Live

I have one and it can reproduce even the native xdcam ex files (with latest firmware)

greetings

That's great to hear Julio. So it will it play the MXF files. Do you also happen to know if it can play the tative files created by the nanoFlash?

Thanks,
Garrett

Chris Medico January 7th, 2011 02:42 PM

A number of laptops come with HDMI or DVI connections. Thats all you need to play full quality video on a HDMI monitor.

I do it all the time. Works great.

Chris Medico January 7th, 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Dobie (Post 1605375)
Has anyone found a way to put an edited, finished video back on a SxS card so that it can play in the camera? Or is it just too difficult to recreate the BPAV file structure and formats needed to do this?

You can't export video back to the card and have the camera play it. You will have to find an external player to display any edited content.

Keith Dobie January 7th, 2011 03:10 PM

Thanks Chris...

Julio Veas P. January 7th, 2011 08:47 PM

Garret:

It plays the mp4 files out of the ex1 file structure, but it doesnīt play MXF files from my nanoflash (50 mbit 422) donīt know if it can play .mov Iīll have to test this.

I use the WD Live on two ways, to check the content when it gets transferred to an external hard drive from SxS Cards ( this was just an incidental discovered feature when I accidentally plugged my back up drive into de WD Live)
and to display finished content edited in Final Cut and exported through compressor into a H.264 file.

itīs cheap and has a great functionality.

greetings

Kevin Spahr January 8th, 2011 07:50 AM

You can export edited video back to an sxs card and play it back through the camera. It is not simple. If you need to learn how, seach this form for a thread I wrote detailing the process.

Alister Chapman January 9th, 2011 09:07 AM

It's easy to do with a Mac and FCP. Although you do have to be aware of the 4Gb file size limit imposed by the FAT formatting of the SxS cards.

Alain Chaix February 16th, 2011 06:52 AM

Hello,

Somebody could confirm that the WD TV Live is able to playback native XDCAM .mov files ?
In this case It would be very usefull for theater show.

Thanks