DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony ex3 with m3 and 35mm f/1.4G (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/490556-sony-ex3-m3-35mm-f-1-4g.html)

Mohammed Al-Saber January 22nd, 2011 12:36 PM

Sony ex3 with m3 and 35mm f/1.4G

Hello
What would change if you use the new AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G by AdaptimaxPlus camera to Sony ex3 instead of m3 Cinema Lens adaper + AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G
Need to clarify that
Introduced the first cost 1800 + 340 = 2140
And the second 1800 + 1900 = 3700
Thanks
Adaptimax Plus - Nikon Lens Adapter
AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G| Nikon
Redrock Micro - m3 Cinema Lens Adapter Indie Bundle

Duncan Craig January 22nd, 2011 01:27 PM

You've not understood the total polar difference between these two devices.

A 35mm lens put directly onto an EX3 will give a hugely different result to using it on a 35mm ground glass adaptor. The adaptimax will give you a narrow view even on a wide lens.

The adaptor is designed to take advantage on an smaller sensor on a 35mm lens, which results in long focal lengths due to the magnification factor. So you get a fast 300m lens on an adaptimax and you'll get a hugely telephoto lens. Great for nature filming.

A 35mm adaptor with a fast wide prime will give you DSLR type shallow depth of field, actually shallower than most DSLRs and even 35mm film as it is full frame 35mm.

In fact it's there on the vortex link you've posted:

QUOTE:
Will wide-angle lenses work with the Adaptimax?
Yes, but there is no benefit except with some macro lenses. Because of the 5.4x and 7x crop factor, wide angle lenses will not provide a wide-angle view. For example, the stock lens that comes on the EX3 has a focal length range of 5.8mm to 81.2mm. You aren't going to find an SLR lens that is wider than 5.8mm, and certainly not one with an f/1.9 aperture. So, any Nikon lens with a focal length of 82mm or less is not going to provide any benefit over the stock lens. The exception to that is if you have a specialty lens, such as a macro, that provides capabilities not found with the stock lens.

Cheers, Duncan.

Mohammed Al-Saber January 24th, 2011 03:37 PM

Dear Duncan Craig
I hope to God that you achieve your dream
And if it is used wide angle lens 20 mm, the Adaptimax Plus will not advise me, but only if it is used lens from 35 mm to 400 mm lens from Nikon or macro
This concept
But if I'm going to use only 35 mm will not need to Redrock Micro - m3
Is there a problem when 35 mm with Adaptimax Plus
I wish to clarify
Thanks

Duncan Craig January 25th, 2011 04:10 AM

Crop factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S. as a committed atheist I'll leave it there!! LOL.
Hopefully someone else can help here too.

Peter Ford January 25th, 2011 05:23 AM

This also might be useful:

AbelCineTech - Field of View Calculator

My hat goes off to whoever made that, its a very useful tool

Duncan Craig January 25th, 2011 05:29 AM

That was going to be my next suggestion, but I don't think it explains the difference clearly enough between a true 35mm ground glass adaptor and a 'simple' lens adaptor.

Peter Ford January 25th, 2011 05:48 AM

hmm, i see your point.

I did an excellent series of doodles a year ago when I was training someone, that showed the differences between dof adapters and the crop factor you get from a simple lens adapter.

You know how sometimes a drawing can just demonstrate something so much better than words. The guy I was teaching saw the doodle, 'made a screwed up thinking face' then went 'ooh yeah, i get it now'

I must dig it out and re-draw it in illustrator sometime - might be useful to someone