Patriot LX Memory at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Patriot LX Memory

This memory has been working flawlessly in my EX1. I am using their 16GB and 32GB SDHC cards with the current firmware (1.20) installed. Very reasonably priced as well.

Example: 16GB Today: $27.99 delivered.

Newegg.com - Patriot LX 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF16GSDHC10

No errors at all.

John

Last edited by John Peterson; January 28th, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just bought a 32 gig stick as an emergency backup incase I needed more memory in the field last week. Turns out I didn't need it. When I tested it, it lasted about 5 minutes at 720P 24 over cranked to 60fps. v.1.20 EX1 when I got a media error but didn't loose any footage. Then I set the over crank back to 48fps and it filled the rest of the card without issue. Testing methods were camera set up on TV screen with constant movement in content. I think I may return it as you would think that a class 10 card should handle full over crank?

Anyone else run tests on over crank with this card?

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Major Player

OK,

I must admit I don't overcrank because I hate the look of it. 90% of the EX series videos on Vimeo seem to use overcrank and therefore not very creative IMO.

However, according to MXM Express, they have tested these cards and claim "Full S&Q recording from 1-60fps capabilities."

MxM Express SDHC Cards

John
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

The Patriot card has been fully tested by MxM but remember that you are pushing a standard EX1 to do 60fps overcranked. 50 is just about the limit for reliable operation. The limitation isn't the SDHC cards or adaptors but the camera itself. An EX1R will have no such issues.

Tested though the Patriot cards are, be sure you are happy to shoot onto "budget" media. I just get the impression that people don't really understand the difference between premium cards and cheaper cards and just adopt a "it works" attitude. Budget manufacturers are liable to shift production to whatever factory is cheapest whereas a premium manufacturer such as ATP only produce their cards in a single facility.

Given just how many times you can re-use the cards, the saving is so tiny its just not worth bothering with IMO.

As a ballpark, an ATP 16gb card is approx £55. If I use that card 100 times, that's 55p per use. Or just under half the cost of a standard Sony Premium DV tape (which I rarely used anyway as I preferred the Sony DVCAM stock).

In short people seem to get freaked out by the up front cost of premium SDHC and forget just how much they used to spend on tape. I ordered up a 32gb Sandisk Extreme for my Sony VG10 a couple of weeks back and the price did seem eye watering until I reminded myself that the cost was not much more than I'd have paid for a box of 10 DVCAM's. Suddenly it seemed like great value.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; January 28th, 2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I hear what you are saying Marcus, but I would really like to see something quantitative to support what seems "logical". Electronic wristwatches come to mind. Massive differences in prices based almost entirely on the external appearance when they are all about the same internally.

John
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I hear what you are saying Marcus, but I would really like to see something quantitative to support what seems "logical". Electronic wristwatches come to mind. Massive differences in prices based almost entirely on the external appearance when they are all about the same internally.

John
What we do know is the Patriot cards are one of the slower cards recommended for EX1 use. Still fast enough mind, just less overhead. They are basically the minimum card you should be looking at. The ATP cards are faster and have proven to be solid work horses for me over the last 18 months. The Sandisk Extreme cards are the fastest however they don't make the same claims about durability that ATP do.

The speed difference is easily tested. All the cards are fast enough but then it depends on your view on overheads and how fast you want to get the data off the card. With a Sandisk being approx a third faster than a Patriot when transferring your footage this may be important to you.

Then there's the fact the ATP cards are more resistant to environmental conditions as they are advertised as being waterproof, temperature resistant and static resistant. Now I don't intend getting my cards wet but EX1's do get hot and I believe I had one Transcend card zapped by static (luckily only lost a few seconds).

It's quite telling that when I last looked at various card options ATP were the only people publishing detailed specs about their cards including details about the mean time between failures, how long data would be kept on the card and how many write cycles the card would endure before failing. ATP's main SDHC business appears to be selling their cards for industrial applications rather than consumer use where such details are important.
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Major Player

I just ordered another 32GB Patriot Card from Newegg:

Newegg.com - Patriot LX 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC10

$52.99 with Free Shipping, No Tax, and a $10 Rebate bringing the final cost down to $42.99 delivered.

Patriot Memory has always paid their rebates faster than most. I looked at my last rebate from them.
I sent in the rebate on 11/29/10 and received it on 12/30/10. That was only a month.

That in stark contrast to the OCZ rebate which I received yesterday 2/07/11 that I sent in on 11/22/10. Or the Gigabyte rebate that I sent in on 11/18/10 and didn't receive until 1/21/11.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds