Colour Bar Test Chart. HD ITU 709 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Colour Bar Test Chart. HD ITU 709

Hi All

I'm trying to calibrate EX-3 colours using vectorscope boxes on a pro monitor supplied by VMI
Does any one know where I can locate a HD colour bar test chart here in the UK to meet ITU 709 spec?
I’ve seen some suppliers in the US quoting around $900 for a comprehensive chart, not really what I wanted to pay.
Is there a colour bar test chart out there that anyone can recommend costing less than $300?

Thanks

Andreas
Andreas Andreou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

These may do. DSC labs are really good quality, check their whole site.

Then you can probably order from B&H or a British supplier.

Camette - Handy Series - Store - DSC Products
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Colour Bar Test Chart

Thanks for the lead Olof,
On a separate note, I recall reading somewhere that you manufacture a base plate support for the EX3 and Nano?
If so could you provide a web link for further details?

Thanks again

Andreas
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Andreou View Post
Thanks for the lead Olof,
On a separate note, I recall reading somewhere that you manufacture a base plate support for the EX3 and Nano?
If so could you provide a web link for further details?

Thanks again

Andreas
Here is the EX3 Plate"
EX3 Tripod plate kit

Here are the NanoFlash Arms:
NanoFlash Arms

You can also email me to set up a Skype call and I can show you exactly how it all works if you need more info.
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ex3 base plate

Thanks for that, It's my next kit purchae.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Major Player

You really want to get a chart that has the four flesh tone chips. A 12+4 camalign is a good one.

I opted for the Cambook one that is designed for RED cameras. It works equally as well for the EX3 or any HD camera.

DSC sells them at list price. Filmtools sells them much cheaper. B&H, a sponsor here, has them as well.

EDIT:

Also get one that combines color and greyscale into the same chart. A greyscale chart with 10 or so steps is good and of course the 4 fleshtone chips as mentioned above.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I was wondering if you used the Cambook to set EX3 colours with a scope?
How did the colours relate to ticking the scopes boxes?
I'm curious that only the high end charts are endorsed with the ITU 709 standard.
And that the other charts fail to mention that standard, I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference to onscreen colour representation if setting the camera colours using the Cambook or the expensive ITU 709 cards? Has any one tried both?
So many questions??

Thanks Guys
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Andreas,

You have to use a set of scopes, either hardware or the software kind built into some monitoring systems that has a 2x gain adjustment for the vectorscope. Not all them do have the 2x gain adjustment.

If you are doing your own editing, most Non Linear Editing Systems come with a scope package of some sort that allow you to adjust your tonal balance and colors. It is often better to do it "in post" as you can easily add noise to your camera by adjusting the color in camera. This has happened to more than a few with the EX3 as is evidenced by some of the comments and footage seen here over the past couple of years.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the advise, did you find the Cambook usefull for in camera adjustment?
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

ITU-R BT 709 is the standard for HD imaging. Older pre-HD era charts will be designed for ITU-R BT 601. 709 has a wider colour gamut.

I often use a colour photograph of a know scene to setup my cameras. While this might not give true 100% accuracy, what it will give is an image that you can compare with the photo to see if it looks right to the eye. By including a face, some sky, green foliage and some brightly coloured objects (cars in my reference picture) I can tweak the matrix to give me the image I want, no mater what the weather outside. I have several copies of the photo that I keep in my kit bag. Very often going for true one to one with the real world gives disappointing results IMHO.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Major Player

ok - this is not scientific:

If you are after flesh tones, a good printing company can help you with a digital PROOF print of a good foto (or create flesh tones from RGB values, google helps).

Be aware that digital prints are not calibrated Broadcast prints, but for comparing / setting cameras it can help (not for "scientific" matrix settings).

I ordered some simple colour charts for setting up multiple cameras and dont want to ruin my expensive DSC chart every day , its a workaround.

Regards

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Very often going for true one to one with the real world gives disappointing results IMHO.
I use(d) my dsc labs chart to setup a baseline for my EX3 and PMW-350 cameras. I knew that tracking colours and gamma in this mode may not give the best image, so I shot lots of test clips and slowly modified the matrix & other variables to suit my personal taste. Took a while but it was worth it. You learn a lot in this way.

Apart from the IR issue with the EX3, both cameras match very well. Not surprisingly, the EX3 extracts a slightly deeper red than my 350.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds