how to connect Dedolight Ledzilla to my EX1 battery? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #16
Major Player

O.K.. I was confusing D-Tap and DC input. Now I understand. Thanks very much,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #17
New Boot

Re: how to connect Dedolight Ledzilla to my EX1 battery?

I'm looking at getting the Ledzilla light for use on an EX1R, and want to figure out how to power it. If possible it would be nice to avoid the batter adapter plate version.

We are probably buying a couple of these batteries: http://dolgin.net/swit-manual.jpg

Anyone know if I can simultaneously power both the EX1R and the Ledzilla with the Swit S-8U62 battery? My voltage math is poor.

I see that BH sells a cable for a Swit battery, but it doesn't appear to be a D-tap... they also sell an Anton Bauer cable that does have a D-tap - will that work with the Swit battery??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
B.J.
B.J. Hjelholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I used the LEDzilla on EX1R and SWIT 8U62 batteries. It's a nice rig but there's always the tradeoff of size vs Lumens. For the cable, you want part number: DLOBML-AB-L. http://www.dedolight.com/www/assets/...edzilla_EU.pdf

The LEDzilla will also mount on the rear 1/4" mount if needed.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...ra-mounts.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Hjelholt View Post
We are probably buying a couple of these batteries: http://dolgin.net/swit-manual.jpg
Take a look at their dual charger for the EX batteries. Alex at Dolgin hangs out here and was very helpful. What I like about that charger was it's robustness to power dips and power cycles plus it's ability to judge how much charge each battery needs and apply different amounts of charge to each so that they both become ready at the same time.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Trustee

If you can, consider the Litepanels SolaENG 3 which is similarly priced to the Dedo but outputs WAY more light. I have 2 SolaENG 3's and one Dedo, and I use the Sola 90% of the time on my EX3 rig powered by V-mount batteries from Swit.

I have these 3 lights with v-mount batteries so I can do interviews with a quick 3 light kit anywhere I want with no need for AC power; however, I also bought 2 Frezzolini AC to D-tap power bricks to power the Sola's.

The Dedo can be purchased with a Sony or Pann battery plate in addition to purchasing their d-tap cable. On my EX3 rig, their d-tap cable does not reach my d-tap ports so I use a Zacuto/Swit cable that plugs into the battery's d-tap and has 2 connectors: 1) one is to power the camera and 2) is a female d-tap to connect to the Dedo (or Sola).

My only issue with the Sola is its fan. For on-camera use, this fan and on-camera mic's don't get along. Also, the 2nd Sola I received had a bad fan. In addition, I found the fan to become rather loud after an hour or so of continuous full-power use such as when I used a Sola as a backlight for a greenscreen shoot. The fan isn't audible from a few feet away so it didn't affect my boom shotgun mic but when the shoot was finished, I noticed how loud the fan had become.

The Dedo is fine for lowlight situations and has enough power to add fill in slightly brighter indoor situations. However, it is not wide enough to cover 2 people whereas the Sola has enough coverage and power for 2 people.

From my testing, I find the Sola equal to a 240 watt tungsten - very close to an Arri 300 to which I compared.
Attached Thumbnails
how to connect Dedolight Ledzilla to my EX1 battery?-zacuto2-small.jpg  
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #21
Inner Circle

But to BJ's point, doesn't the Sola draw more power than is available with a SWIT 8U62 that's also running an EX1R.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
But to BJ's point, doesn't the Sola draw more power than is available with a SWIT 8U62 that's also running an EX1R.
Very good point. The Swit battery spec says 50w max but I always thought it was 50w max per port. For example, I have a few of the Swit 88whr v-mount batteries and I have powered my EX3, nanoFlash and SolaENG 3 from a single 88whr Swit battery.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds