Ntsc pal, better pre or post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ntsc pal, better pre or post?

I have to make a corporate video for a winery company, and I will be shooting with my PMW-350 and nanoflash, and for the first time I will be shooting at 220 mb/s. I always shoot 1080i 50 when in HD,the only thing that concerns me this time is the fact that the client will show the video on big screen in the U.S.A, from his notebook via HDMI I think to the video projector.
The question i have is: what would be the right thing to do: shoot NTSC and in this case i don't know if 1080i 60 or progressive and then convert to PAL 1080i 50 in post production or shoot as usual with 1080i 50 PAL and then convert it to NTSC? what would be the best thing to do? the client will need the video both for PAL & NTSC area,for web and dvd,and also for convention purpose.
in this case you would solve in pre production or in post production, converting in post production is better from PAL to NTSC or the opposite. when you shoot video's for both area's you shoot as for your area and then find a solution in post production..to obtain best results when you convert from PAL to NTSC or the opposite you shoot progressive or interlaced!!!
I have red on this forum that once you convert from PAL 1080i 50 to NTSC you get "blurry" effect,because you pass from 25i to 29.97p. and my client want to do this video primary to show it in the U.S.A where he have most of his clients and then ofcorse for internet and other clients in the PAL area.
Thank you all,...this forum is GREAT, first thing I do when I arrive home from work is to look at this forum,what's new? who needs help this time? did somebody find the answer he was looking for? and above all when you see people writing from all over the world that gives me a great sensation.
thanks
Samer
VIDEOSHOT
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

First of all I would shoot progressive. Progressive is much is much easier to convert from one frame rate to another. Progressive also looks better on the web and computer displays.

If the primary market is the USA then shoot 30P, just be aware that if you are shooting in the EU under man made lighting you should use a 1/100th or 1/50th shutter to avoid flicker.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Shoot it all in NTSC, i.e. 30fps or 24 fps. Almost all NTSC productions will play on PAL DVD players and TV screens. The same is not true for PAL productions on NTSC players.

I only shoot in NTSC now.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

progressive 30p

Thank you Alister,I always follow your blog and learned a lot of things just by reading all things you write on your blog, I will take this opportunity to thank you for the time dedicate to people you don't even know, it's a great thing you're doing there with your blog. by the way I want to tell you that for this video I will be using one of your scene file setup CINE1. just one last thing in order to shoot 30p,is it correct to go to menu and set menu to NTSC and then set 29.97p? that is what I did with my PMW-350,maybe the question is a little stupid but I have to say that switching from PAL to NTSC is a little bit strange to me,and I have to say that the flicker effect is worrying me,I have shot progressive with other cameras, never with this one (PMW-350),maybe the CMOS plus progressive is too flickery for me (maybe the first time impression!?). I will be using lights in every single scene,a lot of scenes are indoor,celler with wine barrels, a very nice ambient..almost 90% of shooting will be on dolly.the video will be shown on big screen in the U.S.A and that is the main purpose for this video,and on the web later,client's site.
regards
Samer
VIDEOSHOT
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Vincent

Thank you Vincent for your time,I was wondering why would you shoot progressive and NTSC if you are in a PAL area,what kind of camera do you use? what are the benefits using 30p over the 1080i 50? what about the flicker effect..!!
sorry about lot's of what?!what!!!!!!!!! I would like to know only why do you shoot ntsc and not pal, is it for the international market purpose or because you think it looks better?
regards
Samer
VIDEOSHOT
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Trustee

I produce DVD photography guides and the North American market is an important one for me, hence NTSC format. For these I shoot at 24 or 30 fps with a resolution of 1280x720. I can achieve cleaner looking SD video with this format than 1920x1080. The advice you have been given on this thread to shoot at 1920x1080 is good. I also shoot at this resolution for commissioned work.

I use the Sony EX3, and as Alister suggests I set my camera to 1/50 or 1/100 sec to avoid flicker in European countries.
Progressive will produce cleaner looking video than interlaced and is also easier to Chroma key.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds