Soft Skin Detail - Picture Profile at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 6th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Soft Skin Detail - Picture Profile

What's the best way to get the soft skin look in camera on the EX1R?

I've got a future bride that is going to need some, uh, assistance in the beautify department. Not being mean, but there's a lot of details that, well, umm.. You know. A lot of skin detail.

I normally doctor them up where needed in post, but I think I'm going to need to have the camera help carry some weight this time around.

Is there a "skin detail" setting or two that work good for more of a softer, dreamier skin look? How well does that work?
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The EX cameras have Sony's Skin Tone Detail Correction system included in the picture profiles. By turning this on you can point the camera at a face (or any other coloured object) and select the hue you want to treat. By using the phase and saturation controls you can adjust the exact hue and hue range that will be treated. Then you can turn the detail level up and down for the selected range.

It works but is a little fiddly to set. I don't normally use it, instead preferring to shoot with slightly reduce detail level settings overall and then adding a diffusion filter in post production using Magic Bullet or similar. Another option would be to use a diffusion filter or similar on the camera, I like the Tiffen Gold Diffusion/FX for faces. If your budget won't stretch to that then don't forget that you can always stretch a very fine mess net over the lens such as a stocking for a pleasing diffusion effect. Again tricky to get just right, if the mesh is too big you'll see it, too small and you completely blur the image.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Trustee

Alistair touches on an old film trick - one we used for over 20 years with a long-term lady client who was concerned how her skin looked. We used a black, fine denier stocking stretched over the back of the lens, not the front where there was no chance of the mesh ever coming near focus on our BVW507. I guess EX3 users could use that device.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can get small metal rings for securing nets behind the lenses of 2/3" cameras. It is the best place to put you diffusion as the diffusion amount remains constant throughout the zoom range.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds