DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Auto Iris (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/491356-auto-iris.html)

Mark Andersson February 7th, 2011 05:18 AM

Auto Iris

After just receiving and shooting with my new EX1r i was amazed where the Push Auto Iris button is located.
Am I the only one or have others found this button extremely difficult to access unless completely shifting the hand in an awkward manner in the handgrip?

As you can assign the Expanded Focus setting to an assignable button, why cant we sign Push Auto Iris where the Exp Focus button is located - which is very accessible.

Just dissapointed :(

Vincent Oliver February 7th, 2011 05:48 AM

You get used to it after using the camera for a while, then you will be able to find it with your eyes shut !

Mark Andersson February 7th, 2011 06:00 AM

I do hope so, in Run n Gun and ob doc work its quite a crucial button.

I might need to grow longer fingers :)

Les Wilson February 7th, 2011 06:38 AM

I love it's location. The right hand is underutilized. Having it there is a great use of unused digits. I ALS understand that is where auto iris is on many full sized ENG cameras so it makes perfect sense that Sony put it there on the EX series. It's the pro heritage the EX cameras enjoy and we benefit from.

Mark Andersson February 7th, 2011 03:20 PM

Les,I know and agree but I feel it should have been placed where the expanded focus button is. I just cant reach it - and its tiny.

The Z5 had an assign button on the hand grip that could be assigned a Push Auto Iris that was very conveniently located - no searching.

I think its just a case like shoes, not all hand grips fit all hands/fingers :)

Les Wilson February 8th, 2011 06:19 AM

Your pinky doesn't reach the Auto Iris button?

Mark Andersson February 8th, 2011 12:47 PM

Hahaha NO is doesn't !!!!

And is pis#ing me off big time :(

Charles Newcomb February 8th, 2011 03:16 PM

If God had wanted us to use Auto Iris, He'd have given us longer pinkies.

Walter Brokx February 9th, 2011 02:55 PM

Hahaha, isn't there any pinkie-extension on the market? ;-)

Dave Morrison February 9th, 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Brokx (Post 1616270)
Hahaha, isn't there any pinkie-extension on the market? ;-)

Olof told me he has one in development at the moment.....and it will be anodized, too! ;-)

Mark Andersson February 11th, 2011 04:24 AM

Everyone thinks I have a tiny pinkie :(

I do a lot of run and gun and observational doco work and use the push-auto-iris as a guide for quick exposure when changing scenes etc - I do a auto exposure shift of -1 and its 99% accurate for this type of work.

With the EX1 I now have to wriggle my hand a bit on the handgrip to hit this 'tiny' button.

I will just have to change my approach :)