hard drive data rate req. for EX1 sdi capture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hard drive data rate req. for EX1 sdi capture?

So, probably touched on elsewhere but...

What kind of hard drive bandwidth will I need to capture from my SDI output from my EX1?
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Major Player

If you mean uncompressed HD, HD-SDI is 1.485 gbits per second. That's 185.625 mbytes per second. You generally need a RAID setup for that if you use disk drives, but some of the newer SSD solid state drives can handle that.

If you use compression, you can get away almost any new drive, depending on the scheme used.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am close now but will have to decide how to proceed. I currently have a sustained 100 MB/sec transfer rate to two 1T Baracudas in Raid0. I think I will try adding two more to the Raid and see where I am at.

Current system Configuration:

Gigabyte X58-UD7 MB, 12G RAM, i7-920 @ 4GHz on water, ATI HD-5790, 2 1T Baracuda 7200.12 in RAID0
Charles Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds