DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Color Temp Setting for Time Laps Sunset/Sunrise (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/491514-color-temp-setting-time-laps-sunset-sunrise.html)

Garrett Low February 9th, 2011 09:39 PM

Color Temp Setting for Time Laps Sunset/Sunrise

Looking for recommendations for color temp settings when doing a time laps sunset/sunrise shot.

Thanks,
Garrett

Doug Jensen February 9th, 2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1616458)
Looking for recommendations for color temp settings when doing a time laps sunset/sunrise shot.
Thanks,
Garrett

That's easy. Put it on 5600K preset (or up to 6500K if you want it even warmer) and leave it alone.

Doug Jensen February 9th, 2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1616458)
Thanks,
Garrett

Made a typo, and accidentally posted twice. Sorry.

Garrett Low February 10th, 2011 12:24 AM

Thanks Doug, I wasn't sure if that would be a bit too warm looking just as the sun is coming up. Isn't sunrise temp around 2000K? I suppose it would really give a cool glow though.

-Garrett

Warren Kawamoto February 10th, 2011 01:20 AM

I agree with Doug, 5600 degrees is good. If you go 2000 your picture will be way too blue when you start your timelapse. A warm looking sunset is much better looking than a cool one.

Garrett Low February 10th, 2011 01:35 AM

I wasn't thinking of using anything near 2000K. Just noting that sunrise is down that low. I will give it a try between 5600 and 6000. Make some quick adjustments and let it go.

That is, when I get a chance to go out in some good weather.

Thanks,
Garrett

Barry J. Anwender February 10th, 2011 11:02 AM

Color Temperature & Sunlight

1 Attachment(s)
Garrett, I have also had this same question and my travels discovered General Electric's research as they make light bulbs for various color temperatures. It is a guide with some actual science behind it. Hope this helps.

Alister Chapman February 11th, 2011 11:14 AM

If your scene is going from totally dark to daylight then 5600 will work well, but if there are street lights or buildings with lights it becomes much harder as the man made lighting will be incredibly orange during the dark phase of the shot. You can compromise by shooting at 4300 and the doing a keyframed colour shift in post, or use ATW (waits for flack for using an auto function), you will loose a bit of the vibrance of the orange sun rise with ATW, but again you can add that back in with a few post tweaks.

Garrett Low February 11th, 2011 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your help and input. The hard thing about doing this is you don't have a lot of chances to experiment. I can only get up before the sun so many times before turning into a pumpkin.

-Garrett