SDHC cards for the EX series? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Piotr -- thanks for pointing out the OEM of the Hoodman cards, I didn't know that. I've been using Hoodman 16GB RAW + their adapters at all settings + S&Q with no problems. They were sold at the pro shop where I got my camera. One thing about the last Hoodman adapter I received -- they have updated the design a bit, now looks more like the Sony SxS. Seems to have less chance of the little SDHC card getting ejected from the adapter when you push on it.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #17
Trustee

Like Marcus, I find the whole idea of shelling out for a superb camera and then economising on the media puzzling.

To me it's like buying a Leica film camera, a spanking Summicron and then buying cheap bulk-wind film and a Dixon's enlarger. We'd never have done that then so why do we think it's a good idea now?

And incidentally Sony's new cards are much less expensive than the early ones.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dobie View Post
One thing about the last Hoodman adapter I received -- they have updated the design a bit, now looks more like the Sony SxS. Seems to have less chance of the little SDHC card getting ejected from the adapter when you push on it.
They're MxM's with a different label on them. Makes no odds though as the price is broadly the same.
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
To me it's like buying a Leica film camera, a spanking Summicron and then buying cheap bulk-wind film and a Dixon's enlarger. We'd never have done that then so why do we think it's a good idea now?
Poor analogy as there is no picture quality difference between the cheapest media and the most expensive SxS.

The real issue is data retention. Broadly speaking SxS and the best quality SDHC* perform evenly.

* Using the specification sheet published by ATP. Sadly other SDHC manufacturers don't seem to want to publish detailed specs.
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #20
Trustee

You took the words from my keyboard Marcus. I didn't know that Dixons ever made any enlargers.

The problem is that Sony charge a ridiculous price for their SxS cards, so no surprises that users invest in SDHC cards, I don't have a problem with using SDHC cards, in the same way that I don't have a problem using CF cards in my DSLR or Canon XF305.
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Not to be persnickity, but the quote attributed to me two messages ago (#19 re: Leica) are not my words and not anything I posted.
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #22
Major Player

If I am reading this correctly, Sony is endorsing it's adapter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657501-REG/Sony_MEAD_MS01_MEAD_MS01_Memory_Stick_Adapter.html

"The Sony MEAD-MS01 Memory Stick Adapter allows you to use Memory Stick Media with Sony XDCAM EX camcorders and other ExpressCard compatible hardware. The MEAD-MS01 adapter is the same shape as SxS memory cards, so it will fit in the media slot of all XDCAM EX camcorders. Since there aren't any protrusions the media cover can be closed during shooting.

The Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX series cards are recommended for use in the adapter. These cards are available from retail outlets, unlike SxS media. So in situations in the field where additional media is required, or for cost-conscious users, the MEAD-MS01 Memory Stick Adapter is the perfect solution."

It no longer specifies "Emergency Only" it states "So in situations in the field where additional media is required, or for cost-conscious users."
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #23
Trustee

This sounds like a desperate attempt to shift a mountain of Memory sticks, as far as I know even Sony has stopped using these in their digital cameras in favour of SDHC cards.

ps anyone want to buy some 8 track stereo cartridges, or some Betamax tapes or maybe some quad track stereo LPs.

Having said that, I still love my EX3, my Sony LCD screen, BluRay player and Walkman.
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #24
Regular Crew

@ John Eithcowich OP:
I'd consider the entire workflow before buying your cards. For example, how will you handle extremely long shoots — if that's something you will ever be doing? What if someone asks you to record a full day conference of say 8 full hours of speakers? If you were just recording to cards and not offloading in the field, you would need 10 x 16GB cards. Ka-CHING!

I've learned from reading on this forum that there are a variety of ways of doing this without investing in a dozen cards — and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Sony SxS solution. But I would figure this out and have a plan before investing in any cards. For example, if you want to eventually buy the Sony MS-240 mobile storage unit, you'd want to be sure your cards will be compatible with it.
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Not to be persnickity, but the quote attributed to me two messages ago (#19 re: Leica) are not my words and not anything I posted.
Apologies. Not sure how that happened. Sometimes the attribution on here is easy to screw up without knowing how you did it!
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
It no longer specifies "Emergency Only" it states "So in situations in the field where additional media is required, or for cost-conscious users."
Can't help but think they've missed the boat with their adaptors let alone the fact they were asking approx £90 for the SDHC version with no discernible benefits over the products already on the market that retail for a third less.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:38 AM   #27
Major Player

Re: SDHC cards for the EX series?

Has anyone compared the Sony Mead adapters to the MXM adapters?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM   #28
Major Player

I need to correct something I wrote,

The Sony MEAD-SD01 SDHC Card Adapter, is for emergency use only, and it still states that. The MS01 did not state that.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM   #29
Major Player

The Sony Mead adapters aren't approved for use with overclocked speeds, correct?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM   #30
Major Player

I'm hearing not to shoot slo-mo with the SXS alternatives...Exactly why is that? It's not reliable? or it just doesn't work? or it messes up the sandisc cards? any additional details are appreciated.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds