SDHC cards for the EX series? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 12th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1
New Boot

SDHC cards for the EX series?

I'm thinking of buying an EX1R and I'm wondering about using it with SDHC cards to reduce the cost. Can you recommend a good adapter? And what's your experience with it? Does it keep the quality? Is it reliable?

Thank you for your help!
John Eithcowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

MxR adaptor.
MxR Expresscard Reader & Case
MxM
MXM Express - MXM Express
their tested media
Tested media - MXM Express
Sandisk Class 10 cards. There are others though as you can see from both company's lists. Key is getting professional quality fast cards.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Major Player

I did a write up on this a while back to try and help EX1 users. It dates from last year and now you should really only be looking at Class 10 cards.

SDHC Cards And Adaptors For The Sony EX1
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #4
New Boot

SDHC cards for the EX series?

Thanks Craig and Marcus, this is great information.

About the actual card, any thought on Lexar? I happen to have 2 of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/692820-REG/Lexar_LSD32GCRBNA133_32GB_Professional_133x_SDHC.html
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Major Player

The differences show up to a much greater degree if you frequently shoot video with slow motion. If you don't care for that type of video a lot more cards work very well.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #6
New Boot

John, did you reply about my Lexar question, or about the difference between SxS and SDHC?

In either case, what are the differences? No, I'm not shooting slow-mo, so you're saying I can stick with the lexar?
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Major Player

At the risk of re-treading old ground, you get what you pay for and if your footage is of any value to you then consider a premium card such as those offered by ATP and Sandisk. If you are on a budget (although can oddly still manage to fork out 5 grand for the camera so I can't see why an extra £20 would bother people) then take a look at the Patriot cards. Remember SDHC can be reused hundreds of times unlike tape.

In terms of SxS v SDHC, it is really better that you go and look at the forum archives rather than us having to go over it all again. My experience is that a quality SDHC adaptor (such as those sold by MxM) and a premium SDHC card (ATP or Sandisk) is reliable. I've shot hundreds of hours with this combination without any drama.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eithcowich View Post
John, did you reply about my Lexar question, or about the difference between SxS and SDHC?

In either case, what are the differences? No, I'm not shooting slow-mo, so you're saying I can stick with the lexar?
I was replying to the Lexar question. There are 40 User Reviews in your B&H link to the card. I read them and they are all excellent. I use Patriot 32GB cards, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one. All my cards go into the older discontinued Kensington adapter. Firmware 1.20 has increased the compatibility for many more cards.

John
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
At the risk of re-treading old ground, you get what you pay for and if your footage is of any value to you then consider a premium card such as those offered by ATP and Sandisk. If you are on a budget (although can oddly still manage to fork out 5 grand for the camera so I can't see why an extra £20 would bother people) then take a look at the Patriot cards. Remember SDHC can be reused hundreds of times unlike tape.

In terms of SxS v SDHC, it is really better that you go and look at the forum archives rather than us having to go over it all again. My experience is that a quality SDHC adaptor (such as those sold by MxM) and a premium SDHC card (ATP or Sandisk) is reliable. I've shot hundreds of hours with this combination without any drama.
And you will find if you read through the archives that the entire quest for cheaper alternatives to SxS began in response to the price gouging Sony was engaged in when they first introduced those proprietary SxS cards for the EX1 camera. Had they avoided that corporate temptation many of us would not have sought a "cheaper" alternative.

There were some on this forum that spent as much and even more than the camera cost to "stock up" on SxS cards giving some long forgotten explanation about "getting what you pay for" and "cheaper than tape in the long run". Competition from SDHC alternatives did what competition always does as opposed to monopoly. It drives the prices down to much more fair price levels.

John
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Competition from SDHC alternatives did what competition always does as opposed to monopoly. It drives the prices down to much more fair price levels.

John
John, I couldn't agree more!!

Thanks, everyone. You guys saved me over a thousand dollars and that's not a small matter!
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Here are the Patriot cards Marcus and I were referring to:

Newegg.com - Patriot LX 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC10

Given that right now it is $42.99 after a $10 Rebate why not try one as well as the Lexar cards you were interested in. Rebate expires tomorrow. Patriot rebates take about a month to process, but they always pay them.

John
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

if you want to be on safe side.

shoot your slo mo on Slot b 8gb sxs

and normal 1080p 24p or 25p depending where your from on slot a.

I use mxm adapters class 10 transcend, sandisk are great too,
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Inner Circle

If anyone is serious about his EX shooting, he/she should only use the original SxS from Sony, or MxM adapters with MxM approved SDHC cards. I guess I agree with Markus on this.

Not saying MxR is unreliable - just have had much better experience with MxM. Also worth to remember that Hoodman is really MxM, which means a lot...

Piotr
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Walton View Post
if you want to be on safe side.

shoot your slo mo on Slot b 8gb sxs
Just to add to this, I shoot slomo footage on a 8gb SxS card in slot A and then transfer the clips to a 16gb SDHC card in slot B. Now I can wipe the SxS card and start over again, this is the only time I ever use SxS cards. However, I should mention that I don't do a lot of slomo work, if I was doing it n a regular basis then I would invest in 16gb SxS cards. As for SDHC, I have never had any problems with shooting standard frame rate footage.
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yup agree,

looking to get an 8gb sxs so i have two i already have three mxm adapters and class 10.
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds