EX1 vs EX1R - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Koenig View Post
Does anyone know??

Was the IR contamination issue fixed on the EX1R??

Thanks,

William
Yes. A google using "EX1R IR contamination" yields several articles...here's a few...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-hardware.html

ProVideo Coalition.com: Stunning Good Looks by Art Adams

YouTube - EX1 and EX1R and Tiffen T1 filter test.wmv
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #32
Trustee

+1 for going with the EX1-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eithcowich View Post
2. I'm going to use SDHC cards. Is there an issue here with the older model?l
I have an EX1 and an EX1-R - the latter is the main camera now. The USB has speeded up on the EX1-R which means you'll get less problems with (good) SDHC cards.

Audio: you can now switch the limiter off. Deep sub-bass at high volume (or wind noise) no longer 'tinkles' (though the latter was fixed on my EX1 when it was 'away').

Another thing, which may not seem exactly 'positive' is that there are changes to the way the camera's built that improve 'crashability'. The side door, for example, used to require a lot of expensive disassembly if it was damaged in any way. On the EX1-R, it's got a simpler system that I'm assured is cheap to repair.

I can also attest to the 'tough old boot' nature of the EX1-R. My EX1 had to go back for a new power board, a lens assembly, bits and bobs. Recently, it's needed a trip to redo the lens alignment as it wouldn't do an auto backfocus.

The EX1-R is thoroughly sorted. If you buy a S/H EX1, who knows if the power board has been done, or the backfocus anomaly with NDs has been fixed? Just a thought.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #33
New Boot

Re: EX1 vs EX1R

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your help. I actually decided not to go with either the EX1 or the R, and to get a Panasonic AF100.

What made me go in this direction was the conversation here about the imperfect auto-focus of the EX1 series. If I have to go manually than I figured I may as well get a lighter, and cheaper camera, which also create great footage. I experimented with it using manual focus and realized I can do it :)

Thanks again!
John Eithcowich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds