Beware stolen Sony cameras - serial numbers. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Beware stolen Sony cameras - serial numbers.

Hi
Here you can find serial numbers of stolen Sony cameraes like the PMW-500. A hole truck with Sony stuff is missing in Europe.
Så gik det også ud over Sony - Branchens mødested
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You know, that brings up a thought I had about stolen cameras. Of course, you should have it insured for just that reason, but dammit, I want the theives caught. How difficult would it be for Sony to install anti-theft GPS circuitry in these enormously expensive cameras? Or even offer as an option? The same circuitry can be included in I-Phones and I-Pads....why not cameras?
Sony, are you listening? (no).

Patrick McLoad
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Not difficult at all really, it can be done on your pet...

A relatively cheap and simple chip that can be detected at airports, etc and if police suspect something they can always scan it for the chip - like a pet.

I would think that an Authorized Sony dealer / repair facility would be able to insert and bond into the inside of a camera case a chip of the same nature. It just takes organising, but who's going to take the lead?
As as far as I am aware, the chips are inert, don't need batteries, transmit nothing and are silent so they should not interfere with the camera's use.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not a bad thought Dave, but like you say, a pet capsule requires a scanner and someone to scan it. I'd rather have something like a LoJack that can be located anywhere/everywhere.
The technology is there.
http://www.absolute.com/en/lojackforlaptops/home.aspx

P
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
How difficult would it be for Sony to install anti-theft GPS circuitry in these enormously expensive cameras?
the ethics are simply mind-boggling IMO.

RFIDs are quite cheap to produce and they can even be scanned from space as far as i know. but i'm inclined to suppose that they're far too exploitable a technology. i know less about GPS stuff, but it still stand that the same technology used to locate your stolen stuff can be ever so easily used to make stealing it that much more a targeted and efficient endeavor.

...my (former) repair facility managed to loose 40+ cameras in one shipment (including one of mine). their compensation offer seemed like a decent plan initially... that is until they started their bargaining at 100% less than the than the repair costs i'd already paid them... never mind the value of the camera. the postal system in holland has plunged well below 3rd world standards since privatization kicked in. really.

...i'm reminded of a reported scam, perhaps urban legend, where some dudes were randomly approached by an 'off-the-back-of-a-truck' sales pitch in a parking-lot. the deal was for a ridiculously underpriced 3-chip prosumer camera, new in box. after taking the bait they discovered that the 'camera' they had bought was in fact a fully convincing plastic replica, perhaps even a genuine case with nothing but a brick for its interior.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmmm...interesting....never thought of it being a two-way street.
How about a numerical pad on the side of the camera that requires a personal code before operating?
Might not stop theft, but could slow it down.

Patrick McLoad
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
How about a numerical pad on the side of the camera that requires a personal code before operating?
Might not stop theft, but could slow it down.
well this would of course slow you down as much as it would slow them, if you get my meaning.
i've been following the 'bio-metrics' industry with some interest but i still can't get past the idea that for every technological solution created there comes a host of new problems as a result.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, after giving it some thought, I would just as soon not have a numeric pad on my camera as well, given the propensity for Sony electronics to go awry.

P
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Major Player

With an iPhone you can render the phone useless with a little app. If the phone gets stolen the app you have bought can be initialised and it knackers the phone - apparently.

Maybe if this were the case for cameras - the thefts would stop - as each original camera owner just knackered the camera after it was stolen, pointless stealing it..?

You'd only officially be able to get the camera repaired and working agian at a dealer centre and a centre taking such a camera in is going to look at the registered owner to give it back to..

As with everyone else here, I think something has to be done.. but it needs commitment from someone like Sony or Canon or JVC or all of them as a collaboration - they all do have the capability - they need to learn to care enough.. IMHO
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
As with everyone else here, I think something has to be done.. but it needs commitment from someone like Sony or Canon or JVC or all of them as a collaboration - they all do have the capability - they need to learn to care enough.. IMHO
Why should they?

It's sad, but the situation is a win for manufacturers (of cameras, cars, and all other steal-able goods).

The dealer was certainly insured, so they'll get their money back and buy another truckload of cameras.

And those stolen ones will certainly not limit the market for new cameras of that kind, as nobody serious would buy a "fishy" broadcast equipment...They will end up in hands of those low-profile ones who are after such opportunities.

All in all, this means more sales for the manufacturer. And the ethics? Well... didn't I just say it's sad...
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Major Player

We've all known that cycle for years and while it is sad it is also in this day and age preventable - if the manufacturers learned to care enough. Why should they?? Why shouldn't they?
If they were the one's to lose out they'd soon bleat, and after bleating they'd do something about it.

Why is it decent upstanding citizens (the individuals in life) who never get back for a camera what they've paid for it from an insurance claim always be the one's to lose out because a manufacturer doesn't care enough to embrace available technology?

You are right, all the time they win - they will not learn to care..
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Trustee

Enough of the manufacture bashing. Yes, they can do a more but I would rather they spent their time developing better functions and solving know issues. Surely the responsibility for looking after gear should be down to you. Make sure it is well insured and don't leave it in unsecured places.
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #13
Major Player

You wanna tell that to the lorry driver in Holland...? lol
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds