sony 64gb sxs recording time correct?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: sony 64gb sxs recording time correct??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Two minutes or one hour, the loss could be unforgivable,.
Your 100% right Vincent.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:19 AM   #17
Trustee

Marcus, my source was a Sony engineer - I'm not one so I can't be any more explicit. As for cheap tyres, my reference goes back to the days when people bought secondhand or re-treaded tyres, not less expensive imports.

Vincent, it's not very smart or difficult to start a new tape or card so you capture the whole of a speech or event in one take. But I'm in event recording. Just be as smart and tell me how you'd handle an over-long homily or a multiple ad-hoc speeches at the breakfast - not untypical at Russian weddings for example - when you started your fresh tape or card right at the beginning of the event and it is clearly going to over-run your media. Most speechmakers have no idea how long their speech will last and the reply of some of my ministers would be distinctly unholy if I asked how long their homily will last.

And as for the trite "two minutes could be unforgivable" - obviously you never had a drop out on tape. I envy you.

No medium is guaranteed fault-free and an experienced cameraman/producer will have taken every possible precaution against one. An extra long card is one simple way and thus a cheap investment though it's not the only one.

But be clear, this is the advice and comment of someone who earns their living making event programmes. If I made scripted, studio shot programmes or if this was my hobby or I was a part-time amateur, both perfectly respectable and legitimate uses of video, I might feel very different about cheaper recording media etc.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:10 AM   #18
Trustee

"Vincent, it's not very smart or difficult to start a new tape or card so you capture the whole of a speech or event in one take."

I would disagree with you on this, I always consider it to be smart to have a fresh card (or tape) for the start of an important speech.

"Just be as smart and tell me how you'd handle an over-long homily or a multiple ad-hoc speeches at the breakfast - not untypical at Russian weddings for example - when you started your fresh tape or card right at the beginning of the event and it is clearly going to over-run your media. Most speechmakers have no idea how long their speech will last and the reply of some of my ministers would be distinctly unholy if I asked how long their homily will last."

That is my point, if you have a card which only has 30 minutes left, then you have more problems, generally speeches don't tend to go on for more than one hour, if they do, then your camera will switch to card B or the next card.

"And as for the trite "two minutes could be unforgivable" - obviously you never had a drop out on tape. I envy you."

I have had my share of drop outs and snarled up tapes, that's why I switched to solid state recording at the first opportunity.

"But be clear, this is the advice and comment of someone who earns their living making event programmes. If I made scripted, studio shot programmes or if this was my hobby or I was a part-time amateur, both perfectly respectable and legitimate uses of video, I might feel very different about cheaper recording media etc."

Be clear, my advice also comes from someone who knows how to take a lens cap off.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:08 AM   #19
Trustee

Vincent this is going round in circles and becoming a matter of semantics; let's agree to disagree.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:25 AM   #20
Trustee

I agree Philip, we all have our own way of working and if it works for us then why fix it. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds