DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   sony 64gb sxs recording time correct?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/491757-sony-64gb-sxs-recording-time-correct.html)

Jim Stamos February 14th, 2011 04:38 PM

sony 64gb sxs recording time correct??

on the 32gig sxs you will get close to 2 hours at the highest rate 35mbs
on the 64 it says you get 3 hours. shouldnt it be closer to 4 if its twice the size of the 32??

Philip Howells February 15th, 2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1618236)
on the 32gig sxs you will get close to 2 hours at the highest rate 35mbs
on the 64 it says you get 3 hours. shouldnt it be closer to 4 if its twice the size of the 32??

Jim I think the "secret" lies in the qualifying word "close".

The figures I've seen are 100 mins for the 32Gb card and 200 mins for the 64Gb card. In advertising speak 100mins might be "close" to two hours (though mere mortals might feel it's actually closer to an hour and a half) whilst 200 mins is a country mile away from four hours.

Tom Bostick February 15th, 2011 01:53 AM

i get 98min on my 32gb card

Ross Herewini February 15th, 2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1618341)
Jim I think the "secret" lies in the qualifying word "close".

The figures I've seen are 100 mins for the 32Gb card and 200 mins for the 64Gb card. In advertising speak 100mins might be "close" to two hours (though mere mortals might feel it's actually closer to an hour and a half) whilst 200 mins is a country mile away from four hours.

Hi Philip,

When we format an SDHC 32GB card with the MxR adpater it shows it has 113mins recording time.

When we format an SDXC 64GB card with the MxR adapter it shows it has 224 mins recording time.(3h 44mins).

I haven't tested a Sony 64GB SxS card, but would assume it can record at least the same as our MxR adapter can.

Andreas Andreou February 19th, 2011 03:50 PM

Hi Philip

Continuous record on EX1 the SxS-1 64gb card gives me 3hrs 45 mins.
Great card and great price.

Vincent Oliver February 20th, 2011 10:33 AM

At £750 (inc vat) you are right it is a great price.

BTW. what is your definition of "Great"

Andreas Andreou February 20th, 2011 03:11 PM

Its great in so much that I no longer need to be offloading clips in the field to laptops or other extortionately priced Sony gear.

I've had situations in the past when recording live stage events with three cameras,
of having only 20 mins to copy two 32g cards and two 16g cards and delete them before shooting again. Adding a 64g card to my card stock has eliminated all the pressure associated with file transfers in the field.
So for me a great card at the same price I paid for a 32g card 2 years ago.

Vincent Oliver February 21st, 2011 02:16 AM

Re: sony 64gb sxs recording time correct??

I am aware of the benefit of having a large capacity card, but £750 for 64gb I think it is an outrageous price to pay especially when memory prices are dropping dramatically. My definition of Great in Sony's term would be, a Great profit.

Philip Howells February 21st, 2011 02:39 AM

Vincent, I appreciate the point you are making about the price of memory but having invested in three 64Gb cards which we used in our 3 EX1Rs for last Saturday's wedding for the first time, I would make these observations.

1 Having a single, huge (for the job) capacity is more than a convenience, it's an extra consideration off one's mind. We actually had a 32Gb card in each second slot because the wedding format (Danish) meant there were more unknowns than usual.

2 If SxS cards were used in every imaginable gadget from phones, to cameras to sat navs etc, I would expect there to be a significant reduction in price.

3 We simply added the cost of the cards to the cost of the investment and decided that that system suited us best. (I know it wasn't your suggestion that we use adapters and cheaper card formats but in my view that would be like putting cheap tyres on a new car.)

FWIW the cameras reported 233 minutes available on the cards when they were inserted.

Vincent Oliver February 21st, 2011 03:05 AM

I take your point and despite my concerns about the high price of the card I can see the benefit of using 64gb cards. Although the phrase "putting all your eggs in one basket" does spring to mind. I prefer to shoot on 16gb cards for most jobs, *I also have three 32gb ones). I haven't come across any situation whereby I have run out of time using a couple of 16gb cards, even on a wedding shoot.

Philip Howells February 21st, 2011 03:25 AM

Vincent, of course you're right - it's not that any one element of the wedding will over-run the 64Gb rather that a late bride and a long homily often pushed the 16gGb CF in my MRC1s close to the limit. It's the removal of that worry to which I referred.

As for the single basket, I addressed that point with a Sony engineer at BVE a couple of years ago. He pointed out that the most one could lose with a SxS card was 2 minutes whereas with a CF card it could be the whole lot.

Of course engineers designed the Titanic....

Marcus Durham February 21st, 2011 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1620328)
(I know it wasn't your suggestion that we use adapters and cheaper card formats but in my view that would be like putting cheap tyres on a new car.)

Oddly enough I was stuck in the dentist waiting room the other week reading a car magazine tyre test. The second cheapest tyre outperformed the premium tyres in some tests and came out second overall. They were half the price of the Dunlops that came out top.

The point of this is that if you've done your research you'll make a significant saving. This is true of car tyres, flash media, biscuits or indeed most things in life.

Anthony McErlean February 21st, 2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1620338)
As for the single basket, I addressed that point with a Sony engineer at BVE a couple of years ago. He pointed out that the most one could lose with a SxS card was 2 minutes whereas with a CF card it could be the whole lot.

How did he work that out, only loosing 2 mins with an SxS card.

Marcus Durham February 21st, 2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1620338)

This may come as news to those who have lost entire SxS cards.

Vincent Oliver February 21st, 2011 06:52 AM

Two minutes or one hour, the loss could be unforgivable, especially if the two minute silence happens at the exchange of vows.

Try to find out how long a speech or action is going to last and budget your data carefully. In days of tape I would often waste 10 or 15 minutes of tape, just so I could start a new section with a fresh tape. The same holds true for memory cards, I might just slip a fresh card in before speeches or at the start of a new sequence of events.