DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony batteries interchangeable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/491765-sony-batteries-interchangeable.html)

Fernando Kanano February 14th, 2011 08:08 PM

Sony batteries interchangeable?

Hello.

I own a PMW-EX1 camera, and I've been collaborating on some projects with a local production company. We both own Sony cameras, but they use the HDV-Z1U cameras. One time the shooting went for too long, and I was running out of juice. One of the guys told me to use one of the Z1U batteries on my EX1. I didn't want to do that because somebody had told me that using a different type of battery could harm the camera. I just want to know if that is true, of it it's just a myth. If somebody can share any info on that, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Doug Jensen February 14th, 2011 09:07 PM

The batteries are not interchangable, and Z1U batteries probably wouldn't even physically fit onto your EX1 let alone power it up. The Z1U batteries are 7.8v and the EX1 requires 12v.
A better idea would be to plug into AC power.

Still using a Z1U, huh? Wow. I still have a Z1U but I never think of using it for real work.

Fernando Kanano February 14th, 2011 10:55 PM

Thank you for your answer, Doug. You know? You got me thinking. I probably got wrong the type of camera they have. I know for sure it's a Sony HDV, but now I'm not too sure of the model. The one thing I do remember is that the battery size is the same as mine.

So just to make sure, I shouldn't use any other type of battery, even if it's the same size, right? Thanks again.

Philip Howells February 15th, 2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1618297)
The batteries are not interchangable, and Z1U batteries probably wouldn't even physically fit onto your EX1 let alone power it up. The Z1U batteries are 7.8v and the EX1 requires 12v.
A better idea would be to plug into AC power.

Still using a Z1U, huh? Wow. I still have a Z1U but I never think of using it for real work.

Doug with respect, I realise your business is probably selling cameras and although I've recently traded up from three Z1/MRC1s to EX1Rs I find your rather disparaging remarks a little unfair. If you're not a dealer but a producer then very unfair. Of course you add the caveat "for real work" and it's true that our broadcasters would like to maintain that they don't consider anything less than 35mbits/s, but in truth they do when it suits them.

But a lot of people earn their livings making event programmes weddings etc (real work, to them and their clients) with Z1's, Z5s, Z7s and although we hope our EX1Rs will give us an edge, I wouldn't dismiss the Z1s out of hand.

Marcus Durham February 15th, 2011 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1618297)

Still see plenty of them out and about. Granted mine sits in the cupboard most of the time now but it does come out to play from time to time if only to remind me what a decent zoom mechanism should feel like.

It's what you get out of the kit, not what you use.

Don Bloom February 15th, 2011 05:55 AM

Fernanado,
Regardless of which way this thread is headed, DO NOT USE any battery on an EX1/R unless it is made for that camera. First even thought it may look like it's the same size it might not have the pins in the right place, the battery might be a bit different in size the attachment pins or slots mights be different, the voltage could and probably is wrong for the EX1/R so I can tell you you are better off buying an extra battery whether it's the 30 or the 60 or a SWIT (which will power the camera, IIRC, for about 8 hours and uses the same charger as the stock Sony batterys.) OR using AC power. Otherwise you could very well be paying for a repair of your EX1.

Doug Jensen February 15th, 2011 05:56 AM

Hi Philip,

For the record, I am not a dealer and do not sell cameras for myself or anyone else. I have no stake in what camera someone chooses to buy or shoot with. And I know the Z1U is a nice camera because I still have one. In fact, I stopped shooting my own projects with my $60,000 Ikegami Betacam the day I got my Z1U because I thought the Z1U looked better -- even in the SD mode.

But come on, that technology is getting too old and outdated to continue using it for paying clients. When it comes to picture quality, the Z1U can't hold a candle to the EX1, Z7U, and even the NXCAMs. Any professional, who makes a living in this business, ought to be able to make the jump from a Z1U to a newer camera. The EX1 has been around for over three years now. If you sell the Z1U and buy a clean used EX1, the jump is not that far to make.

It's my belief that using a lesser camera for clients who are paying for your services, when a significantly better model is not too much extra money, does a disservice to the client. You are welcome to disagree, but that's not going to stop me from thinking it or saying it.

Okay, but let's put picture quality aside and just look at the benefits to the production company. Do they have any idea at all how much faster and more efficient the XDCAM workflow is? Do they realize that time is money? Any money a professional spends to upgrade from a tape-based camera like the Z1U to an EX1R will quickly be recouped in incrreased efficiency and saved time.

The workload that I can take on increased 20% - 25% when I quit shooting on tape. But even if you say that is too optimistic, isn't a 5% - 10% increase in productivity, for a professional who makes their living with the equipment, enough to justify a new camera system?

If a professional says he can't afford to upgrade,they just don't understand the benefits that they are going to reap. There's still this mindset out there that an XDCAM is just the same as a tape camera but you shoot on a disc or card instead. That is not true. It can change your whole way of doing business if you embrace the benefit it offers.

So, if you consider the better picture quality that you can get with an EX1 . . . AND the workflow advantages, then yes, I think it is short sighted for most professionals to still be shooting with a 6 year old Z1U. I'm sure someone is going to point out how the Z1U is perfect for what they do, and maybe they are right, because there are always exceptions to everything. But in general, for most people, a Z1U is outdated.

Vincent Oliver February 15th, 2011 07:01 AM

Maybe it is time to stop using my Bolex too.

The trouble is that so many cameras and equipment are out of date so quickly. I had a buyer for my Canon XL1s and they changed their mind and purchased the 7D - not that I blame them, but now I have a camera that cost a few pounds and is now worth next to nothing. The same holds true for my Nikon D1 which cost me £2700, now I can't sell it for £50 - mind you my mobile phone offers a higher megapixel count.

That's life, but as Doug says, you have to be one step ahead of the competition to get on. You wouldn't want your client to say I have a camera just like that at home.

Fernando Kanano February 15th, 2011 11:32 AM

Well, this discussion went a little off topic, and to avoid fueling it more, I just want to say I agree with Doug and Vincent. But I also agree with Philip and Marcus. Yes, those cameras might be outdated, and one has to keep up with newer and better technologies that saves us time and provide better image quality. But you can't always judge a person's work by the equipment they use. Like the old saying goes, it's not what you have but how use it. Of course I'm in favor of combining quality of work with quality of tools, but there are many factors that prevent people from upgrading their equipment. And to each his own reasons.

Anyway, thank you for your comment, Don. Your answer was very satisfying. And thanks to everybody for commenting and sharing their thoughts. It's always enriching to read different opinions.

Good day to you all.

Walter Brokx February 16th, 2011 06:36 AM

(back on-topic:)

If the Sony designers are smart: you can't connect the wrong battery. This is called 'fool-proof' in the enginering world. By making it impossible to make a mistake (because things don't fit, or have a safety that force a certain order), the mistake won't be made.
Sony makes a lot of different cameras that need different voltages and they do make a lot of different shaped batteries. So I don't think you can put the wrong battery on any camera.

Matt Davis February 18th, 2011 06:41 AM

Another attempt to get back on topic

DV-EX1 /DVEX1 Sony PMW-EX1 NP-F Battery Adaptor

I fully trust Hawk Woods on this, though I didn't get it because I sold off all my NFP batts with my Z1s (okay, okay! Sorry....). However, my current idea is to go V-lock throughout so I can power cameras, lamps, monitors, recorders all from one type of battery - a direction which may still prove to be totally mad and futile.