DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   questions re checking/updating my firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/491855-questions-re-checking-updating-my-firmware.html)

Malcolm Hamilton February 16th, 2011 03:06 PM

questions re checking/updating my firmware

Hi there,
I shipped my EX-1 off to Sony last June for a firmware upgrade... supposedly from v1 to v1.2
I'm thinking of getting a 64GB SxS card, so I checked for compatibility and see that I need v1.25 or higher.

I just checked my camera, by following these instructions:
"You can check the firmware/ by pressing and holding down Menu, the Select thumbwheel, and Cancel all at the same time to enable the service menus. Roll all the way down to the “IF” (Information) menu, and check the firmware Version #. Then turn the camera off to disable the service menus (if you leave the service menus enabled and select some of their options by accident, you can really screw up your camera. Look if you want, but don’t touch!)"

... and it says I've got v1.1

Shall I ask Sony why they didn't upgrade my firmware to 1.2, as they were supposed to do, or shall I try to upgrade myself, from 1.1 to 1.25 (or higher).
Thanks for your advice,
Malcolm

Danny Fracasso February 16th, 2011 03:26 PM

Hi, I have got the PMW-350, but I have read on the instruction for upgrade to Ver. 1.25 that procedure can be made by end user, and that is what I have done. I just logged in into Sony Web site, downloaded the SW, followed the instruction and Bum, done without any trouble.
BTW, I loaded the sw upgrade into a 64GB SxS card, and had no problem, and my FW was 1.1 as well.
My advise based on my personal experience, is do it, it is very easy and explanation coming with the sw are very clear and extremely easy to follow.
Hope this would help.
ciao
Danny

Malcolm Hamilton February 16th, 2011 04:01 PM

thanks for the note...
Question: do I have to worry that, if I upgrade my firmware to allow for the use of this 64GB card, that my 8GB, 16GB and 32GB cards might no longer work?
It would be ridiculous if that were to happen, but I thought I should check.
Thanks, Malcolm

Danny Fracasso February 16th, 2011 04:25 PM

Malcom,
for what I am aware of, you shouldn't be worried about, the new FW Ver. 1.25 ADD support to SxS 64GB Cards, which to me means that all other "sizes" still be usable.
Anyway, here is the link for the FW update were you would be able to find all the answer you might need.

Sony | Cameras - Broadcast & Production | XDCAM

Hope this would help.
ciao
Daniele

Malcolm Hamilton February 16th, 2011 05:13 PM

thanks again Danny. I've just downloaded it...
Malcolm

Danny Fracasso February 16th, 2011 05:24 PM

You are very welcome, just let us all know if you had any problem updating to FW Ver. 1.25

Robert Bobson April 27th, 2011 06:55 AM

Re: questions re checking/updating my firmware

On my EX1R, I tried the Menu/select/cancel buttons, but didn't get to the information readout (?)
Any suggestions?

Malcolm Hamilton April 27th, 2011 07:44 AM

I said I'd post back, so (belatedly) here it is: I did, successfully, update my firmware. Many thanks to everyone for their help.

Robert, I'm sure you read these directions:
"You can check the firmware/ by pressing and holding down Menu, the Select thumbwheel, and Cancel all at the same time"

Did you hold all of them down simultaneously, for a few seconds?

Malcolm

Robert Bobson April 27th, 2011 08:42 AM

i tried the 3 buttons again and finally found the firmware version somehow way at the bottom below "media". I didn't see it before.(?)

thanks

Chris Medico April 27th, 2011 08:54 AM

The EX1 and EX1r have a few differences and how you update or check the firmware version is one of them.

With the EX1r you can check the firmware and update the firmware via the normal menus.

With the EX1 you have to do the multi button trick and use the specific instructions with the hidden USB port to update the firmware.

Robert Bobson April 27th, 2011 09:03 AM

ahhh. well, I must have just scrolled down to the bottom of the regular menu then. good to know!

Tuy Le April 27th, 2011 11:41 AM

As for EX1 to view the firmware version, you don't need any trick.
Access MENU (MENU button) - select OTHERS - scroll down to the end (below the "Format Media") - Vesion: V1.20.

Dave Sperling April 29th, 2011 09:56 AM

Whether the version is or is not displayed in the EX1 may be a function of the firmware currently on the camera, so if you can't find the version at the bottom of the 'others' menu, use the three finger salute to get into the maintenance menu.

Bob Jackson May 25th, 2011 11:02 PM

tried the v1.20 from Sony.
Macbook Pro 2011 Spring
Froze at 12.7% and would not get past that after 4 hours.
Took it to Sony Coquitlam today and they said they would look at it tomorrow.
We'll see what in in for.
Hopefully not a horror story.

Bob Jackson May 26th, 2011 06:26 PM

Fixed and camera checked, FB reset.$120 and less than 24 hours too.
Well done Sony Coquitlam.