Advice on One Hour Clip, Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice on One Hour Clip, Please

Good Morning:
Saturday, I did a point and shoot for a client of a seminar. We turned the camera on and an hour and 8 minutes later, we turned off the EX-1. Now I have over 16GB of video that the client wants to put on a DVD.
First, I don't think that will fit on a DVD. Second, do I have to input this into FCP and export as QT movie?
He asked me to shoot the seminar then decided to do the DVD. This was certainly not in my fee and I have told him so. He has an on staff graphic person who is doing some movie conversion for the web for him. I don't know the platform or capabilities of the system, but I do know they use Mac. If I gave them the files directly off the card, they would have to have a program that could read the files and a system that could edit these files into a usable movie. My guess is at best they have iMovie. So, the questions are: Can the one hour completed movie be put on a standard DVD? If I gave them the materials to edit and transfer themselves, what would they have to have in house? Any other direction or suggestions you may have are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Advice on One Hour Clip, Please

You won't have any trouble creating a 1 hour DVD that will be playable on any player. If your client wants the files transferred to a DVD disk, then you are right, the capacity is just 4.7gb. There are many authoring applications that will create your footage to the DVD format, do a google search. I use Encore for both DVD and BluRay authoring.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Phil, you don't mention the format...SD or HD? If SD, then Compressor can certainly compress a 1 hour show for DVD. Another option might be to split it into Part A and Part B.
If he wants footage only, I'd burn to BluRays and of course charge for it. Never fails that a client comes back and wants more than originally bargained. Is he gonna now sell these copies?

One hour seminar for web? The guy is nuts.

Patrick McLoad
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

I would simply have them buy a HD or supply you with one. Put a copy of the whole card on it and give them a link to download the XDcam transfer app.

Here is a link:
Sony : XDCAM & XDCAM EX Software Downloads : United Kingdom

If they then can't handle it have them hire you to do the job. They do need the XDcam codecs, only available with FCP 6&7, to work on the files.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Trustee

Phil, with the greatest respect I'm devastated by the lack of accurate information you've received here.

Vincent is absolutely spot on.

I suggest the 16Gb of shot material has to be edited, if only to the point of a fade in at the beginning and a fade out at the end. Then it has to be authored which prepares it for a DVD - 60 minutes easily fits on a DVD at the highest quality regardless of whether it was shot HD or SD. If it was shot HD and the client wants to release an HD product it must be authored for Blu-ray.

It's as simple as that.

But on the creative side, Patrick is right, an hour seminar for the web?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Phil
This is a great opportunity! You get to learn how to make widescreen DVDs from your HD footage *and* get paid for it. Nothing better than when I client decides they want more.... easy upsell. I would make up a quote ASAP, get the job, and then figure out how to do it. As others have said, it's not that difficult, it just takes time. Once you've edited the seminar you can "send to Compressor" directly from FCP. You'll use Compressor to create the MPEG-2 video & Dolby AC3 audio files that are needed for burning a DVD. You can make them widescreen or "regular" full screen center-cut DVD, depending on what your footage is. Then you can create the DVD in DVD SP or in Toast or other simpler programs.
I've just done my first widescreen DVDs from HD footage shot on my EX1R. Very happy, looks terrific.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

"I would make up a quote ASAP, get the job, and then figure out how to do it. "

Keith... That reminds me of a commercial for FedEx.

A guy tells the client, "I can do that. I can do that. Yes, I can do that."

When the guy gets off the phone he says, "How do I do that?"

:-)
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Trustee

Always keep in mind that a good reputation can be lost if you fail to deliver. Have a plan B - just in case you have problems.
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks to all of you for your sage and most helpful input. The job is done and the client is very happy. We have another shoot Tuesday. Plus, the client is buying lunch!

Cheers,

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds