DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Hoodman 32GB RAW SDHC SxS not mounting on Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/492315-hoodman-32gb-raw-sdhc-sxs-not-mounting-mac.html)

Les Wilson February 26th, 2011 03:02 PM

Hoodman 32GB RAW SDHC SxS not mounting on Mac

I have a brand new Hoodman 32GB RAW class 10 SDHC card and Hoodman SxS adapter as a backup to my SxS cards. In testing the backup before I actually need it, I successfully recorded to it on my EX1R but the SxS card adapter will not mount on my Mac OS 10.6 system with the Sony SxS card reader.

Putting the Hoodman adapter and SDHC card back into the camera, the card worked fine and I could copy the footage off.

Is this normal for the Hoodman adapter?

Marcus Durham February 26th, 2011 03:27 PM

Re: Hoodman 32GB RAW SDHC SxS not mounting on Mac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1622385)
I have a brand new Hoodman 32GB RAW class 10 SDHC card and Hoodman SxS adapter as a backup to my SxS cards. In testing the backup before I actually need it, I successfully recorded to it on my EX1R but the SxS card adapter will not mount on my Mac OS 10.6 system with the Sony SxS card reader.

Putting the Hoodman adapter and SDHC card back into the camera, the card worked fine and I could copy the footage off.

Is this normal for the Hoodman adapter?

SDHC solutions use USB and therefore require USB to be available on the connection to the device reading the card. I expect the Sony reader has no USB on the connection to the card as it would have no need (SxS cards don't use it). The Sony adaptor is in effect only designed to read SxS cards.

I have a couple of USB to Expresscard adaptors around the place that do the job. They only cost a few pounds each and plug into a USB port.

Oddly enough I got caught out the other way. I absentmindedly plugged my SxS card into a USB adaptor and panicked that the Mac wasn't picking it up. A few seconds later I realised my error.

Marcus Durham February 26th, 2011 03:32 PM

I can't see if Hoodman sell the adpators, but since their adaptors are rebadged MxM's then I reckon they should.

An adaptor should look something like this:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/images/...cu2usb-300.gif

They are widely available and cost next to nothing.

David Morgan February 27th, 2011 11:08 AM

Are you saying that you have an Express 34 slot on your Mac and it's not seeing the card?

Marcus Durham February 27th, 2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morgan (Post 1622597)
Are you saying that you have an Express 34 slot on your Mac and it's not seeing the card?

He says in his post that he is using the Sony SxS reader.

Charles Newcomb February 27th, 2011 05:38 PM

I use the 32 GB RAW cards with my 17"MacBook Pro and it reads them just fine... straight from the SDHC adapter in the express card slot and from the USB adapter you get with the RAW card. They both work fine in Mac OS, in in WIndows under BootCamp.

Les Wilson February 28th, 2011 09:11 AM

Thanks all. It mounts fine in an Express 34 slot. It does not mount in the Sony SBAC reader.

Rusty Rogers March 1st, 2011 09:44 AM

I have the same issue with Hoodman adapters.
They just don't work in the Sony USB reader.

Walter Brokx March 2nd, 2011 11:01 AM

The Sony SxS reader only reads true SxS cards. All the adapters are using USB. Why this is different for the reader and camera I don't know, but when you read the manual of the reader (just imagine reading it ;-) ), you know that's the case.
Use a SDHC-reader if you can't mount the adapter.